How many miles after low fuel?

I can see my fuel range in miles. When it gets to around 50 miles the dashboard reads low fuel. I wouldn't try to drive 50 more miles but would expect at least 30. How many more miles of driving can I expect at this low fuel point?

2007 Chevy Impala LT

It depends on your car

You can look up the capacity of your gastank. Fill up the tank when the warning light comes on to see how much that takes, then you know the remaining amount when the light comes on. You can easily calculate your mpg and make a guess of how far you *might* go on the last reserve of fuel, that depending on traffic, terrain, headwind, etc.

• garry

usually 1/10th of a tank , how far will 2 gallons of gas get you ...

Should be stated in the "owner's manual" Check the glove box or on line for it.  And that is on a flat road with no head winds and you have no dragging brakes and the tires are properly inflated and you are not towing a trailer or carrying a heavy load. AND steady driving speed of 50MPH with no red lights or unnecessary acceleration. And your windows are closed and the A/C is off.

.  If it is downhill with a tail wind then several hundred miles .  Going uphill into a headwind=less.

30 is safe in most cases.

Its hard on your fuel pump when the tank level is low. The pump depends on the fuel to keep it cool, so whether you run out or not, you're going to get stranded one day when your pump burns up from doing that.

My Mercedes will give you a low fuel light when two gallons are left in the tank,  enough for 40 miles.   It has an additional warning light that tells you that the fuel is too low to measure and I have maybe 5 miles to empty.    It is never a good idea to let a car get that low on fuel.   Refill at a quarter of a tank.  

• miffy

I would not test out the limit.You might get 30 BUT you might get stuck in a traffic jam and run out after only a few miles. After 20 miles range Get some gas , it's not worth the risk of running out of fuel and letting dirt from the tank into your fuel system.

• F

If you enjoy a long walk, try it and see!

The ESTIMATE on the display assumes your fuel economy remains EXACTLY the same as at the moment. That NEVER happens.

as you haven't said what sort of car it is how are we meant to know try drive it till it runs out if you really want to know.