Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareDesktops · 1 month ago

Sandy Bridge i7 vs. Haswell i5?

So I'm currently looking at Xeon E3-1270 (i7-2600) and Xeon E3-1220 v3 (i5-4440 + 2MB more cache and better turbo). 

The both cost about the same, run on the same DDR3 memory and their motherboards also cost about the same around here. 

The i7 has weaker IPC, but has hyperthreading and is soldered. The i5, on the other hand, has slightly better IPC, no HT and has thermal paste.

I'm building this rig solely for gaming and shall pair it with something like a 1050Ti or GTX1060 3GB. 

Lastly, I play games with vsync enabled and frame rate locked to either 30 or 60 via RTSS, and as you might be aware, RTSS requires a lot of CPU muscle to offer that super smooth frame times. 

I'm more inclined towards the i7 mainly because of hyperthreading, but Haswell is pretty nice as well + I can always drop an i7 or a Xeon equivalent in the future.

Very confused so any help would be appreciated! 

@DeMoNsLaYeR575 

No offense but I don't think you've an idea about Xeons and RTSS. These E3 CPUs are based on consumer i Series processors, minus the iGPU.As for RTSS, you may want to check Digital Foundry's console benchmarks. The reason 30FPS feels so smooth on consoles is due to near constant frame times. Sure, Nvidia inspector locks frames as well, but the frame times constantly fluctuate between 10-20ms. Plus, you can also reduce vsync lag by locking slightly below your true refresh rate. 

@DeMoNsLaYeR575 Oh and lastly, original Zen CPUs have PATHETIC IPC, comparable to Nehalem (1st Gen.). Haswell is a MUCH faster beast, despite its age. AMD caught-up with Haswell only with Zen+. And only Zen2 would be a meaningful upgrade over Haswell, as its IPC is comparable to 14nm Lake CPUs + a few extra instructions set. 

@m8xpayne:

I thought about going the X58 or 79 route but decided against it because I don't have much faith in Chinese mobos & used ones from known brands are expensive!

Favorite Answer

I don't know what country you're location is but I'd say take a look at Xeon E5 lga2011 or lga2011-v3 processors and/with their respected motherboards. A Chinese company called HUANANZHI makes fairly decent motherboards that are popular in China, Russia, and other parts of Eastern Europe. The trick is the people in these areas will pair these HUANANZHI motherboards with obscure Xeon E5 processors like the E5 2678 V3 that can clock beyond 3.0ghz. Otherwise you can also look at 1st Gen Ryzen parts if they're affordable. 

All of these Xeon E5 processors are soldered too (between the IHS and CPU) so you don't have to worry about paste making them run hotter than they should.

At this point I've bought a few of these Xeon E5-1600 series processors. Every once in a while I'll come across an x79 or x99 motherboard at a good price and I'm not going to pay full price for the i7 version. A CPU like the Xeon E5-1650 v3 is the same as the Core i7-5930k and it performs every bit as well. The only real difference is the memory controller in which case the Xeon can work with ECC memory and it can address more memory.

Earlier this year I bought an E3-1245 v2 and used it on a z68 motherboard. It worked very well and I ended up pairing it up with a 6gb GTX 1060. The only thing I didn't like about it is there is no way to overclock it in the slightest bit on a z77 or z68 board. If you go read the specs of the E3-1245 v2, you will see that it's identical to the Core i7-3770. The E3-1245 v2 pulls up nearly the same Cinebench r15 scores as the i7-3770. Aside from that, In my case the Xeons was a common sense pick as I paid $45 for the E3-1245 v2 whereas the Core i7-3770 costs $80.

The E3-1245 v2 did run a little too hot with an Intel stock cooler but that was only when it was running at nearly 100%. I ended up pairing it with a Cooler Master Hyper 212 cooler that I bought on the 2nd Hand market. However the E3-1245 v2 has Hyperthreading which will cause it to run hotter. In your specific case, You're comparing a 32nm CPU with Hyperthreading to a straight Quad Core that's made on the smaller 22nm node. The Haswell Quad-Core won't run as hot as you think because it's made on a smaller node and it lacks Hyperthreading.

The difference between Solder and Thermal Paste between the IHS and CPU was only a concern for overclockers. Otherwise The problem with both solutions is over time the heat cycles will wear out the bond between the IHS and CPU. Not a lot of people are aware that this causes the solder to separate from the IHS which will create an air gap, but this can be managed with a good CPU cooler. The paste will just dry up. Both solutions should last about 7-10 years or more under heavy use.

The other thing you're overlooking is the clock speed difference between the SB CPU and the Haswell CPU. The IPC difference between SB and Haswell is around 16% but you're leaving a about a 10% clock speed difference on the table with the slower Haswell CPU. Also, modern games are using Hyperthreading and they're also using Graphics cards that have more than 4gb of VRAM. I'd say look at a CPU that has at least 8 threads and a Graphics card like an 8gb RX 580. Those AMD RX 400 and RX 500 Polaris cards don't have the driver issues like the RDNA RX 5000 series cards.

ok so first off the intel Xeon family of cpus are NOT related to the core i family of cpus. They are different and not related in the slightest. Your question is the equivalent of asking what car is the best and listing only motorcycles. They both do the same job but one is not related to what you are asking.

Xeon cpus tend to have more cores, clock slower and have worse single core performance compared to an i7 of the same generation. This mean, on average, the xeon cpu will perform MUCH worse than an equivalent core i family of processors from the same generation, for the same price. Sure they have super high end xeons but they are still generally beat by the desktop version of the processor until you spend thousands per cpu.

if you go with Xeon for gaming and dont drop $10k or more then you are trolling. The very highest end xeon gaming computers will out perform the highest end non-xeon computer BUT only after dumping in 3-6 times as much money into the computer. 

Next thing is locking the frame rate with RTSS, which is silly and a massive waste of processing power. The nvidia drivers have supported a frame rate limiter for more than a year (just set the frame rate in the drivers without any performance drop)

Locking the frame rate AND enabling vsync is pointless as they both do the same thing. just set a frame rate limit to 60 in your nvidia drivers and keep vsync off. 

i would recommend you go with a more modern platform, such as the new zen 3 processors from amd. Price to performace they are FAR better unless you can get the old equipment for free. 

If you HAVE to get one of those two then go with the i5  (as you can get a decent i7 later) and not any xeon platform unless you are building a dedicated server. 

• A.J.

You are looking at old products. The E3-1220 V3 server cpu is year 2013 vs 2011 for the E3-1270. Added to motherboard and both same price, the newer one gets a big advantage.

A Xeon E3-1270 is not typically motherboard soldered. To be motherboard soldered it is probably a custom motherboard built cheap and a second huge negative as assumptions about the motherboard and lack of upgrade/replacement, and non-standard no-data.

E3-1270 V1 is a low passmark of only 5274 split among 4 cores and 4 virtual ones. That is really weak compared with today's gaming PC CPUs and really weak cores.

The E3-1220 V3 is a little lower 5196 score but without hyperthread to get there means each core is stronger and the total is only 1.5% lower.

The E3-1220 V3 is a better choice in every way. It is not known what is compatible for upgrade without stating the motherboard. Guessing is bad, and only when necessary. "I can always" should say "I can usually".

https://www.cpu-world.com/Compare_CPUs/Intel_CM806...

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php

They are both obsolete. Not sure what you mean about the thermal paste. It is something to have to clean off and re-do. Both are used CPUs most likely.

But, the newer one E3-1220V3 is better, as answer of two choices shown.

An i3-9100F is better than both of them, as is almost every AMD Ryzen for desktop pcs. 

• Lv 7

if you are building a gaming PC, why are you using SERVER CPUs??? i realize they are essentially equivalent to the ones you put in parentheses, but they are more optimized for server setups, and servers do not handle gaming as well as desktops.

also, as far as those two go, they may both use DDR3, but they are from COMPLETELY different generations. they are about the same speed, but the v3 is 2 gens newer, so it processes things more efficiently.

however, they are BOTH over 6 generations outdated! neither would be ideal for running any newer games. only stuff much older than GTA 5.

you should always stick to parts that were designed for your intended task, and not just buy stuff "cuz it's cheap".