Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 month ago

Do you think the attacker in Paris (who killed a teacher) was mentally ill? It seems so irrational to sacrifice one's life over a cartoon?

You wouldn’t believe how many people are like this or even entertain the idea. Beliefs are perfectly fine and you should be allowed to practice them but when those beliefs impede the life of others or go overboard then no ❤️ your beliefs are stupid. 

No. It was a perfectly sane reaction.

I think it's a good example of how the 'ME' mentality has taken over. THEIR views/beliefs/wants are more important than that of other peoples RIGHTS to have their own views/beliefs/wants. This is no different to the people who target other people 'they' perceive' as inferior (!!) - the obese, coloured, disabled (yes, even they are targeted!) , sexuality issues etc. 'I don't like them/ agree with their views/beliefs, I have the right to insult/offend/ KILL them'. When I was morbidly obese, on two occasions I had people SPIT at me as I walked on past, minding my own business. They may not have 'killed' me, but they hurt / insulted me deeply. It's all about being 'offended' by someone and treating them with whatever low life antic you choose - with absolutely no qualms. This person that killed the teacher USED religion to do what he wanted to. How many of you have used whatever 'reason' you can come up with to be just as heinous?

• rick

Anyone that is "religious" enough to take anther's life is mentally ill. Their religion itself is a mental illness.

Belief and Ideas rule the world. So you have to guard what you accept.

The basic problem is due to liberals who are afraid to stand up for Freedom of Religion even though they know they should.  Sen Feinstein is a disgrace in that dept.

This is what we should all be able to agree on, this 1948 statement from the UN 

Universal Declaration of Human Rights Article 18.

Everyone has the right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion; this right includes freedom to change his religion or belief, and freedom, either alone or in community with others and in public or private, to manifest his religion or belief in teaching, practice, worship and observance.

"Je suis Charlie" all over again? 

No he was brainwashed.

No religion tells you to kill anyone.

• Dick

He was religious. In MY opinion RELIGION is a mental illness. Religion is irrational. Taking another's life is irrational.

No, just deeply religious.  To him the idea of an afterlife is as real as gravity is to a secular person.  According to him, he sacrificed nothing but his earthly life.  

• Any Muslim who follows the Quran religiously (no pun intended) is mentally ill by definition because they've stuck in a 6th century mind warp.