Once I renounce US citizenship, can I get it back?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Maxi
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

If you renounce any citizenship then you would have to qualify to migrate same way as any non citizen to get the correct visa and live on the correct visa for the number of years before you could apply for perminant residency and later citizenship...... so renouncing citizenship of any country should be carefully considered and no country just  'gives it back'

• RICK
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You would have a hard time evening getting permission to visit.

• 1 month ago

No.                                       

• 1 month ago

No. Nor would you ever be allowed to live in the United States again. In most cases, you'd not even be allowed to visit again, ever.

Source(s): I’m an immigrant from Europe, a retired US attorney, and live in Santa Barbara, California.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Only in the same way as any other foreign national (including a visa, green card, years of residency etc).

Realistically though; you're unlikely to get a visa again. 

• 1 month ago

The only way to attain US citizenship again if you renounce is to start the process from scratch with sponsorship of an immediate relative. Depending on your current citizenship & relationship to your qualified sponsor, it can take up to 25 years to get the immigration visa interview, biometrics appointments, etc. Likewise, anyone who terminates legal permanent residency must start the immigration process from scratch again with sponsorship by an immediate relative. Of course, if their green card was revoked with deportation/mandatory departure, they are not returning.

• ?
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

In theory, but you'd have to start over again with sponsorship and a period of permanent resident status. 

• 1 month ago

Yes, but you would have to go through the same application process that all citizens of foreign countries do.

• 1 month ago

people who have done this, have found it almost impossible for that to happen.  So, do not renounce for you might regret that some day.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.