Do the ministers in your church not like you that much?

I've been a member of my church (about a thousand members) for decades.  I'm constantly asked to be on the church's governing council, and I am usually on it or another committee, so I volunteer a lot of time.  I also provided for the church in my will (which the church knows).

The pastors in my church don't really like me that much.  The senior pastor's body language gives it off, even though he asks me to serve on the governing council.  One associate pastor doesn't ever say anything to me, even when we're sitting next to each other, and one other associate pastor constantly remarks how stressed I seemed to be at work years ago.  Lovely.

The only other church in the denomination that I haven't tried and that is within a reasonable distance is a small one, so maybe I'd check it out.

The church overall is OK.  It's close by and it does give opportunities to volunteer. I'm in a Bible study group.  The people are OK.  I'm not crazy about it, but it meets my needs, I guess.

Would not being particularly liked by the pastors be, for you, the "straw that broke the camel's back"-would you leave the church because of it, if you were otherwise OK with the church but not crazy about it?

• 5 days ago

Lots of politics and cliques, in church groups.

• 5 days ago

How about the people in the church. Are you close with them? Do you feel welcome and involved when around the other members? That's what is important. Pastors can be a surly lot, possibly envious that you are able to mention the church in your will. Pastors suffer the same shortcomings as the rest of us. Go with how feel about being a member of that church community. And you may enjoy your involvement more if you pick what committees interest you the most. However, if you feel the other church members don't care about you, then leave. Go where you can feel a part of the membership. Good luck. And take the will with you if you leave.

• 5 days ago

What church would that be

• Carmen
    5 days ago

You don't have to like a leader for them to be a good leader. They are there to lead, not to be your friend. Is he a good leader and does he teach sound biblical doctrine? If so, then it's a good church. If not, then get out. But the pastor being your friend should not be a deciding factor. In fact, they aren't supposed to be friends with members of the congregation. 

• Med 10
    5 days ago

Try giving more money. That seems to work for my wifes church. Seems the ones with the money are the ones who get their rear end kissed.

• 5 days ago

I've got on well with some of them, not so much with others.  They all clearly tried, or were inspired by God, to get on with me.

5 days ago

Sixteen times you used the words “I”, “me” and “my”.

There’s your only problem.

5 days ago

Inmates don’t run asylums except in Protestant “churches.”