Should I buy DVD+R 8x or 16x and what is the difference?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

The difference is the maximum recording speed.

To benefit from a higher speed, both the DVD media and the recording drive must be capable of the higher speed. If you only have a 8x DVD recording speed on your drive, there is nothing to be gained by using 16x DVDs.

• 2 months ago

It is just the time it takes to write, 16x will be faster.  Its up to you if you need to pay extra for the +16.

• Bill-M
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Why are you still using DVD's??  They are becoming obsolete very fast.

New computers don't even come with an optical drive anymore.

Today we use External Solid State Hard Drives for our movies.  Ten times faster when using USB C then a DVD will ever be.

• 2 months ago

how long it takes to write a new disk is the different.  16x is twice the speed

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

you should buy whatever speed disc your drive is rated for.

if you arent sure what it is rated, put a blank in and see what speeds your burning software offers.

keep in mind, even if your drive is RATED to handle 16x, that doesn't mean you should actually BURN at that speed.

whenever possible, it is best to burn at yhe lowest speeds offered. the reason for this is tricky to explain without explaining how disc burning works, but just trust me when i say that it has to do with both stability, and compatibility with more players.

it's not that it won't play afterwards if you burn at 16x, but at higher speeds there is greater chance for "wobbling" to occur, and if you are making the disc for a friend, remember that not all players are as nice as YOURS, and some cheaper or older players may have troubles playing hi-speed burns.

regarding the difference, 8x media cannot handle burning at 16x. it will more likely fail. that is its "maximum tolerance" rating, or "max burn speed", if you will...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.