Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsAstronomy & Space · 1 month ago

How can we make Mars's core start rotating to enable a magnetic shield around the planet?

• david

Short answer, we can't.

We can't. Even if we could it wouldn't last very long. We've dug 12 miles into Earth's crust, and right now we can't go further; it gets way to hot, and the pressure becomes so immense any hole you dig literally crushes in on itself due to gravity and pressure; even if you try to build a framework. There's no material known that can prevent it. Seriously, you're asking a material to manage the pressure of entire tectonic plates pushing up one another, or basically handling the heat of magma at a spot the plates are pulling apart. It just cannot be done. 

• Mike

We don't have the technology, knowledge, or power to do that at this time.

addition of a half moon sized   molten nickel  and igneous rock into mars' core,,or a device we do not yet have which will manufacture a lot more gravity,and a magnetic field  as consequence protection from gamma rays solar flares,then we engineer the atmosphere which will be retained and not dissipate into outer space water will be necessary a lot of it,as there was a billion or millions of years ago,say some of the eggheads out there there were lakes rivers oceans  salty at that,a long time ago,which eventually blow off,, and up because of the lack you cite

i dont think you can

Maybe 50,000 thermonuclear explosions in a spherical grid about a kilometer apart.  In the movie "The Core", the "terranauts" used only a half dozen to start the Earth's molten core rotating again.  But the iron core in Mars is cooled to solid state.  One has to melt at least the outer 20% of it to make it rotate and create a shield for radiation from space and the sun.  That is why it takes 10K times as many explosions to start a smaller cold one.

Increasing the rotation rate of all of Mars is not the issue.  Its 24h30m daily rate is just fine for humans.  One has to make just the core start rotating.

An alternate view has all of the core of Mars being melted.  Not enough is solid and turning to churn up the exterior part to produce the magnetic field.  See https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn11962-lab-s...

Then it is not solid enough, and the center has to be cooled somehow.  No way to do that easily.

• Aiden

I'm just brainstorming here because I'm not well acquainted with astro-physics minus a small curiosity.

But we could slingshot asteroids to alter the orbit of another planet closer towards mars, the mass of that planet could possibly influence mars into increasing it's speed of rotation.

I'm not sure if that is possible or not, but it might be the best chance we have right now at doing it.

Or I think that I read somewhere that we're capable of creating mini black holes. Or perhaps it's only theory at the moment and we're attempting to do it (I can't remember).

Anyway, if we manage to get enough energy, we could create a black hole and change the speed of rotation of mars. Though I don't know how that works exactly.

Really though, I don't think it's possible with our current knowledge and technology. But it's something cool that I'll be thinking about for a while, thanks for that.

Why the f would you want a "magnetic shield" around Mars?

Isn't the stark desert beauty of the dunes, craters and other features on Mars attractive enough?

Attach a string to it like a yo-yo and pull really, really hard.

i dont think we can