Boss wants me to switch to full time but I want to stay part time.?

When I got hired at my job they wanted me as full-time but I was still in school so asked for part time. I told them when I was done with school I could switch to full time. Now I finished school and they are asking me to switch to full time now. However, I want to continue my education yet still continue to work part time. How can I tell them that I want to work part time and cannot work full time even though we had agreed to a set up like this a few months ago? Any opinions?

Favorite Answer

Be honest. Most companies appreciate that workers are continuing their education. Having an educated workforce elevates the position of the company. {Do not feel obligated by the old agreement.}

• Kyle

be straight with them.  I'm continuing higher education and plan to stay part time."

keep in mind an employer can let an employee go for any reason, often without saying why.  in turn, most jobs are at will employments, where the employee can also leave at any time often with two weeks notice.

wrongful termination is a tricky situation if they were to let you go after you tell them this.  but you still want to go to school.  so it's still your call.

• Maxi

You say "I want to continue my education yet still continue to work part time."

You must sit down with your boss and be completely honest. You simply do NOT want full-time work and you have an iron-clad reason:  because you want to work PART time. There's just no substitute for being clear and honest about this. Don't waffle--don't promise a future you don't want to accept. 

The problem is that your boss is going to come away from this with the impression that the job is not a number-one priority for you--and if you're in agreement with that, don't try to make him think otherwise. However, it may spell the end of your employment there. But frankly, there isn't another way to actually get the point across.  Perhaps he will understand, and perhaps he won't--but it's better to know now and if you need to, seek other part-time employment elsewhere, than to be 'locked in' to a future you do not want. 

Source(s): worked in HR for 31 years.

You shouldn't decline an opportunity like this especially with the way the market is right now.  You might not be able to find full-time work for awhile if at all.  If I were you I would work full-time and feel it out for awhile before continuing my studies.  Especially if it's a career job and because you already agreed to it.  At least take a gap-year before continuing your studies. You didn't necessarily specify how long you would work full-time did you?  So you'd still be honoring your commitment even if just for a year.

Many people don't have the luxury of working full-time in this terrible job market and many people don't have access to career jobs even when the economy is in good shape.  Consider yourself lucky.

Take it or leave it. The opportunity may not be there in the future after you're done "continuing your education".

Tell him it will have to wait, because you are continuing your education at X school.

How can you tell them you're reneging on your agreement?   You open your mouth and the words come out.

?????

Its not a big deal, just explain it to whoever makes the schedule.  They could fire you over but they probably won't.  Maybe offer to work full time when school is out?

I had a girl who quit because she was going to school. I told her to give me a call if she wanted to work during x-mas or the summer and I would put her on the schedule.  

Every company wants trained employees.

She ended up quitting school and came home and went to junior college and she continued to work for me part time.  

just talk to your boss about it

They need you full time and hired you for that once your school finished. Now you need to go to full time.  You didn't tell them you were thinking of extending school, they should have been told that right up front.  You didn't