Why do people hate clothing with shoulder pads?

I actually like clothing with shoulder pads, especially on wool and leather coats.

Favorite Answer

It’s just outdated. I have severe traumatic flashbacks of my 80 year old 8th grade history teacher wearing Blouses with shoulder pads. Haha ISSA WHOLE NO FROM ME. 

I have broad shoulders so I always removed the shoulder pads when they were in fashion.

It shows style not simplicity. Not allowed anywhere for professional careers.

• Cee

A little padding is more than enough.

Before they fell out of fashion they had reached rodiculous proportions and were sewn into EVERYTHING, even t-shirts.  You could easily end up wearing a stack of them on each shoulder.  That's why the hair had to get so big in the 80s or you'd look like a pinhead.

I have naturally narrow shoulders, I'm just made that way.  For this reason I add shoulder pads to some clothes so they drape right.  It's subtle and just makes things look more put together.  That said, even I draw the line at t-shirts!

I'm one who never liked them, because for me they just added unnecessary bulk to my outfits, and it just never looked like my natural shape. I never liked the way they felt, either. In some women's jackets and coats they can provide a more structured look.

To each his own, wear what you like. Shoulder pads were big fashion many years ago, like the '70s or so. Not in style these days.

I like the small, subtle ones.

Some people might not like the way it looks.

they probably feel uncomfortable with it