Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 7 days ago

Will a scared kitten be encouraged to let me pet him if he sees me pet his siblings?

He is not 100% feral but I don't think he has had much interaction with people.

• 5 days ago

That would definitely help, as it would show him that other cats can come away from an interaction with you unscathed. I think the most important tool is going to be time, he's going to need to get used to you and go at his own pace until he trusts you enough. I would recommend brining cat treats or food, and place it increasingly closer to yourself. Don't make any sudden movements, like reaching out to pet him, because he will interpret that as you trying to grab him. Instead, place your hand out, and let him come to you. If he's not ready to do that, that's alright, give him time, and eventually he should become used to your presence. I know you can't spend all day hanging out with stray cats, but if you could possibly find a quiet tasks to do around them, then just your presence should make them less scared of you.