Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 3 months ago

Why are people obsessed with having children?

I don't understand people's desire to have kids. I never want kids. They're expensive, they take 1/4th of your life, they stress you out, etc. What is the point of having kids? Are people really that unhappy by themselves? I love having all this free time to myself to read books, go to the gym, go on dates, hang with friends, do whatever I want when I want on my own time, completely unrestricted by everything but my job. What in the world would ever compel me to throw all of that freedom away? What are your opinions?

Favorite Answer

I completely agree with you, we spend so much time of our lives trying to get what we always wanted and then all of the sudden throw all of we got away and start giving our time, money and freedom to a kid. I have noticed that some of the couples problems are bc they didnt enjoy their youth enough, they didnt get the car they wanted or never went to the place they wanted to visit or even dated with the person they always wanted just bc they got the responsability of taking care of a child. Of course I dont judge ppl who want kids.

• ?

Many of us choose not to have children. But the fact that the majority of people do choose to have them, or at least don't choose NOT to have them, shows the strength of the biological urge to reproduce.

The sexual urge is far more powerful than people realise until they experience it for themselves. And nature has built us so that MOST people deeply desire children, despite the very obvious objective objections that you listed.

There's no need for you to be dogmatic and aggressive about it: just don't have any yourself.

• T J

I agree with you, children drain the life out of you, and drain your bank account. by the time they are gone, you are too old to enjoy the rest of your life.

• edward

They cost less than pets

You're just listing what could possibly go wrong. When you start listing the upsides, the possibilities are endless :-)

Source(s): my brain
  • d

Are they? I'm not. I made a conscious decision years ago not to bring children into this world.

• ?

To each his own, so don't have children. With your attitude and values and belief, it would be a disservice to them, as well as to yourself.

So do not have kids.  It is a choice for most.  

Having or not having children is a personal choice.  But, some people want to create and raise something to live beyond them.