Native English speakers, could you please help me with these issues?

Consider this paragraph:

"Two pictures hanged on the wall, the first being a family portrait, the Eiffel Tower in the background, everyone seemed happy, two elders holding hands in the middle, three young adults sitting on the floor. A man and a woman were on the second picture, wearing a suit and a wedding dress, kissing in a hill, November 2019 marked in the corner. An obituary in the photo frame showed the man's face "Beloved son, husband and doggy dad January 1999-December 2019", the isncription said."

Regarding the obituary, 

does this mean that the man who died

was a son, husband a dad

and that he was 10 years old at the date of death? 

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Cogito
    Lv 7
    5 months ago
    Favorite Answer

There are a few errors - 

"Two pictures hung ('hanged' refers to a method of execution by rope) on the wall.  One was a photo with the Eiffel Tower in the background, with a happy-looking family.  Two older people were holding hands in the centre and three young adults were sitting on the ground.  

The second picture was of a man wearing a suit and a woman in a wedding dress, kissing in a hill.  The date 'November 2019' was marked in the corner. An obituary had been added in the photo frame, showing a small photo of the man's face and the inscription 'Beloved son, husband and doggy dad. January 1999-December 2019'.

If the man was born in 1999 and died in 2019, he would have been 20 - not 10.  He had been 'daddy' to a dog - not a child.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

"Two pictures hung on the wall."  The only entities which are 'hanged' are people suffering the death penalty in lawful executions.

"...family portrait, with the Eiffel Tower...."   "....three young adults sitting on the ground."   "...kissing on a hill..."I have no idea what 'doggy' is doing there.  'Doggy' means 'like a dog'.People and things are 'in' pictures, not 'on' pictures.

Clearly no male of 10 years of age can legally be a husband, and very few males of that age are bodily well developed enough to be a father.

There are several other parts of that story which are not 'native English'.

All in all, that story was not written by a native speaker of British or American English.

If your teacher or your course books present you with such idiotic forms of 'English'(!), then you should immediately change to another course.

I am very angry for your sake that your time has been wasted by having to look at such silly material.

• 5 months ago

20 years old (not quite 21 by one month) is what I would think.  That is, at least, what the inscription says.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.