Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 1 month ago

Which sentence is correct in English?

I like to play tennis with my friends in the park.

I like to play tennis in the park with my friends.

17 Answers

Relevance
  • garry
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

will some one send this silly person back to school instead of wasting our time , some dont have a brain ...

• 1 month ago

Both are grammatically correct. You could rewrite the sentences. 

I enjoy playing tennis with my friends.

My friends and I enjoy playing tennis in the park.  

• 1 month ago

Both would be correct .  There is a difference in emphasis though.

Which phrase comes first is the main statement , the second phrase just qualifies it.

I like to play tennis (main thought) with my friends (secondary thought) in the park (lesser thought).

I like to play tennis (main thought)  in the park (secondary thought) with my friends (lesser thought)

• 1 month ago

Actually, the second one is more correct. If you parse the first one, it looks like all your friends are in the park (or from the park). If your friends aren't, then the second one is more accurate to describe the situation.

The prepositional phrase "in the park" supports the noun that it's closest to. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

it all sounds pretentious and bourgeois to me. i hope you and your friends are wearing your masks.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

In ebonics it would be, "I be chilin it up wif my homeboys" 

• 1 month ago

This is open to discussion (argument, no set or fixed rules).  I prefer the order what-who-where-when.  I played golf with my buddies at Rolling Hills last Saturday.

Is it wrong to do otherwise?  that is the open question. The time part is almost always placed at the end is about the only "rule" I can find.  If You were to say "I played golf Saturday, with my buddies at Rolling Hills." you would be expected to use a comma to indicate that odd ordering.  the "with my buddies..." phrase is an aside, not necessary to the sentence but added as additional info.  If it were necessary, you would have put it ahead of the time.

• Jake
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

the 2nd one sounds better

• 1 month ago

Both of these sentences are grammatically correct. Neither have any issues, and they mean the same thing, but some people may think your priorities are different if they like to look into how people phrase things.

Said over-thinker might think that the fact you said "I like to play tennis with my friends in the park," means the important part is that you're playing tennis with friends, while "I like to play tennis in the park with my friends," means the important bit is that you're playing tennis in the park. That's just if someone looks into it too much like some English teachers, English professors, and English scholars might do if it's in a piece of literature though, normal people don't look into it that much.

Source(s): I had English class and am a native speaker, what more do you want from me?
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Both are acceptable.

Both are correct.  

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.