Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 3 days ago

are air fryers a useful kitchen appliance? are they worth it?

• 30 mins ago

Oh yes, we've had one for around 10 years. Cooks frozen chips quickly and evenly. Roast potatoes for your Sunday dinner in half an hour. Lots more. Very little oil needed, a teaspoon at most

• 17 hours ago

We really like ours. We got a really simple one and if you like your foods a bit crispier like an oven would accomplish, it’s faster than actually using an oven and ours doesn’t need to be turned off. You put the food in it, set the food settings, and leave. You can come back later when it’s done. I also have a small fear of ovens so it’s really a matter of preference.

• denise
    23 hours ago

The new multi drawer ones look 'very' handy.

• 1 day ago

They're just a small convection oven

• garry
    2 days ago

another way of getting money out of you . there just a gimmick , see the price of one a size you can use ..lol

• 2 days ago

An air fryer doesn't do anything more than the oven in your stove does. Waste of money unless you live in an apartment that doesn't have a stove. Anything you do in an air fryer can be done in your oven.

• 3 days ago

Technically if you have a convection oven you have an air fryer.

High heat and convection mode and cooking on a wire rack can accomplish the same thing. 

I do have a small toaster oven and it has an "air fry" setting.  In the year since the toaster oven was given to me I have used that setting about 3 times. 

IF you need or have use for a toaster oven get one with an air fry setting that you you are not buying an appliance that has just 1 function.

Most of the air fryers I have seen do small amounts of food so if you are planning on making fries or other food that you want "air fried" for a family of more than 2 people you will be placing the food in the oven to hold the temperature until the next batch comes out of the air fryer 

• 3 days ago

Air fryers do a GREAT job of cooking frozen foods. They not only cook it faster than an oven, they use less electricity.  And they cook it without adding fats or oils--AND they cook frozen french fries and tater tots much BETTER. I have a very small one on my counter--no bigger than a standard blender--and swear by it. 

• kswck2
    3 days ago

There are people that swear by them, but to me it is just yet another piece of equipment that takes up entirely Too much counter space. 

• 3 days ago

Yes, but only if you have counter space for one. I bought a light-heated one (Gormia) that requires no preheat and comes with a rotisserie. It roasts nuts and coffee, cooks crispy frozen fries, makes toast and I've even rotisseried a turkey breast in it. Lots of air flow and you can cook almost anything you would fry in it, if you use a bit of oil in your preparation. But it's so big. My wife moved it to a dedicated cart behind a door in the laundry room, and it seems like a big chore to trundle it out and use it. BTW, there's nothing like roasting your own Trader Joe's raw almonds a pound at a time. 10 minutes at 450° with the convection fan on three and they are wonderful.

I bought a small conventional air fryer first as proof of concept ($39.00) and it did great fries and simple small batch meats but I put it in storage when I bought the big guy that does everything.