Can you go into cardiac arrest, and technically be dead for say a few minutes, and then can your heart suddenly revive?

And start beating again without any artificial stimulation?

Update:

Pearl; your answers are utterly pointless u stupid cretin 'anything is possible' DUR!!

Update 2:

I do know that but was just asking if a heart can suddenly revive if it stops just for a few minutes. You hear of people's hearts stopping and being revived with CPR or electro convulsive stimulation. 

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

highly unlikely.. i have seen several cardiac arrest events and i have watched over countless of cardiac patients in the CCU (the cardiac care unit - a type of ICUs for patients with serious heart-issues') and i had seen none

of that happening (few seconds maybe.. but few minutes without resuscitation? nope..) .. in theory it can happen at home away from eager doctors to resuscitate - but if it did happen at home, a person may confuse the experience as a simple faint or a dream.. it didn't happen during my watch nor during my colleagues' watch..

`

some patients may have skipped beats for few seconds but death is almost guaranteed after more than a minute without resuscitation under normal circumstances (i am excluding unusual circumstances like extreme cold situation or being attached to an artificial pump machine (Cardiopulmonary bypass (CPB) as seen in some heart surgeries).. permanent brain damage and death, is almost guaranteed after 4 minutes under normal circumstances..

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

possible , the heart is a muscle and like say a calf muscle it could get cramp then recover after a few moments, in cold water you could survive for several minutes 

• Murzy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It's possible but after 4 minutes, your brain deteriorates.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Death is the permanent cessation of all biological functions that sustain a living, physical organism. Emphasis is on the word PERMANENT. True death, is a one-way trip, non-refundable.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.