Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureCultures & GroupsSenior Citizens · 2 months ago

What age does "elderly" begin generally?

I am too close for comfort I think.

• kswck2

When you get the senior citizen discount at the local stores without asking for it. 

"Elderly" begins at my age plus 1.

My Dad was just talking to me the other day (he is 82).  He said when he turned 80, he didn't feel the same, was starting to be forgetful, and felt old for the first time.  So, I will say 80+ would be considered elderly.

Supposedly it's fifty!

• Judith

I think it's 80.  Senior doesn't mean elderly.  I think of elderly as being of "advanced age" and given how old people live to be nowadays I don't think someone in their 60s or 70s is elderly.

My mother is 94 and she once said she didn't feel "elderly" until she turned age 80.

• ted

Most developed world countries have accepted the chronological age of 65 years as a definition of "elderly"

Source(s): I am 70-years-old and elderly

I noticed a change at 70, that's when the aches and pains really started, problems with joints, more visits to the doctor, just started to feel worn out.

It also depends on the work you did or the type of life style you had.

That depends. Old is ten years older than you are at the moment. "Elderly" has connotations of frailty so an older frail person might be called "elderly" while an older active person might be called "spry". Once you turn 70, you come into the realms of "elderly". Sometimes I refer to myself as "elderly" if I'm using it as an excuse for not doing something or because I want to be heard as an older person but generally I consider myself too active to be elderly. One term I detest for older people and never use  is "senior citizen". It is a twee euphemism. I will happily answer to "grumpy old fart" but not "senior citizen".

Well I am in my seventies and I certainly don't feel that I am "elderly"! Although I probably am......  "You're only as old as you feel!"

I would say 70 these days