Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsOther - Family & Relationships · 2 months ago

Am I overreacting or should I tell my boss about this?

I work at a doctor's office and Monday-Thursday I spend most of the day intaking patients, but every Friday the doctor does hospital visits while I am in the office doing extra admin work. 

Last week Friday a patient came in to request a refill of his meds which was odd because he could have easily done this over the phone, but I've had people do this sort of thing before so I didn't think much of it. Then, seeing as most of the back lights were off, he asked if I was alone and I told him the truth saying that the doctor doesn't work in-office on Fridays (which I now realize was not very smart on my part). He started to flirt with me a bit until I casually mentioned that I have a boyfriend and I thought that would be the end of that.

Today he came in again saying that he had an appointment even though his appointment is next week Wednesday and at a completely different time. I wrote down his appointment time for him on a piece of paper for him to remember even though he obviously knew that we weren't open to patients today. He insisted that I give him my personal number but I refused and he seemed annoyed by that. Then he went outside and sat on the sidewalk in front of the office for a while. I'd like to think he was waiting for a ride but I don't know for sure.

I know he hasn't done much but just the fact that he keeps coming while I'm alone is creepy. I keep the doors locked but if he knocks I can't just ignore him or I'll get in trouble. Should I tell my boss?

I was asking for perspective as to whether I'm overreacting or not. I don't want to bother my boss with this if it's no big deal. He seemed pretty nice in person it's more the fact that he keeps coming in while I'm by myself that bothers me. I also don't want to make a diabetes patient be barred from his doctor over no reason.

• Jane
    Favorite Answer

It is important that you record these situations and email to your boss. It is not for you to judge whether or not it is a big deal- the thing is that his behaviour is inappropriate. 

Flirting, asking for your personal details, hanging around outside- it is not just wrong for you, but also wrong for other patients/customers. 

You have noticed something that could be a safeguarding matter, and you must record and pass on, it is not your job to make a decision.

I hope that your boss takes this seriously.

• L

YES .............tell your boss!

• Rick

Yes, tell him or her.  What he did was wrong and it should never happen again.  

You probably should let your boss know. It may be nothing or he may be creeping you now that he knows your work situation. Might not hurt to maybe have someone with you next Friday if you can possibly arrange it, maybe your boyfriend or a friend or family member, just in case he drops by again. If he sees someone with you it might scare him off a bit.

• Janet

This is creepy, and you should not ignore the potential danger.  You can talk to your boss, but the only option is to lock the door when you are alone.

I would write down all these occurrences ... including date, time, witnesses (if any), and then take them to the police station and ask their advice. Sometimes getting a visit from the police is enough to make someone back off.You just have no idea how sane, or not, this person is.

The way you avoid getting in trouble for not letting him in is by telling your boss what is going on.

You've got to be a troll because literally no one is this stupid.

Before you tell your boss, stand up for yourself and request for him to stop. If he continues, go ahead and tell your boss. (TIP: Use your Phone to record his voice, if he does it again. If that is allowed.)