Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureCultures & GroupsSenior Citizens · 2 months ago

Do you take a daily nap?

I am 63 and starting to want to nap during the day. But when I do I don't sleep well at night. 

Favorite Answer

I am the same age as you and I take a nap as well but I usually limit myself to 1 to 2 hours, that way I can sleep at night. I consider it a power nap, it gives me more energy to do the things I need to do later in the day

You know ever since I can remember I tooks naps..after work I took naps after school I took naps, now I take nap several times a day cause it gets so boring. Naps are good for you anyway. It gives you energy afterward.

• Peggy

Most days I seem to need a short nap, sometimes it's a long one.  It doesn't seem to spoil my night time sleep.  I believe that, once we are past 70, we need to listen to our body more and, if it is telling us we need rest, we should take some rest.  Nothing is gained from making ourselves stay awake until our normal bedtime.  If I sleep in the day I, often, find that I don't want to retire for the night quite as early as I do other nights but that just does not matter. I live alone so I'm disturbing no-one by going to bed at a different time from usual.

• P.L.

I do not take a nap on a daily basis but will do so on occasions when my body is telling me that I need one. When that happens I do not allow myself to fall asleep in a chair, I go up to bed and get really comfortable and sleep for as long as my body chooses to sleep.  Once we have retired from our paid jobs we have the freedom to do that and should take advantage of that fact as and when necessary.  It's a healthy thing to do.  If that means that I then go to bed a little later than my usual time so be it, it just doesn't matter as my time is my own

I used to, but not any more.  My father now sleeps most of the day and he's ninety-one.  He started napping in the afternoon in his eighties.

Yes. I’m in my 60si nap daily,     At least in my dreams no covid lol or politics.   Your not the only one, I’m same age as you.   By the way. Time for my afternoon nap 💤 I ]

Take a benidrell to help you sleep at night.. plus lavender tea.

I have the same problem, I try not to take a nap, but my body keeps telling me to take one. sad because when I do nap, the spam phone calls start calling me

I had the same problem.  I finally got some relief by taking a couple of tabs of melatonin before bedtime.  You might want to try it.

Uh-oh! It seems that someone is upset that I take melatonin!

I'm retired.  I sleep whenever I feel like it.  If the nap during the day is too long then I don't sleep well at night.  I try to keep the nap to a half hour or less.

I'm the same age and I have the same issue. I try not to nap because when I do I find it more difficult to sleep that night.