Can you enter the USA from Mexico without a passport?

We are visiting El Paso next week and will be going to Juarez, Mexico by foot. We have voters registration, valid ID’s, car registration & insurance, address proof, I have my birth certificate however my friends don’t, they have other forms of citizenship including social security card. I understand we can get into Mexico - will it be a hassle to get back into the US?

Heck no but if dementia Joe Biden wins basically anybody will be able to come in.

Under this administration, I wouldn't chance it.  A passport or passcard is the only thing that I know works for certain.  If you're from California, the RealID driver's license would probably work (but you need a passport or certified birth certificate to get that).

Given the pandemic and all, my suggestion would be that you and your friends apply for passports now, then make your border crossing trips next year.

Yes, it is easy and will be easy until Trump gets the wall built.

Officially, no.  You are required to have a passport or one of certain other documents issued by the federal government.  None of the documents you listed is an acceptable substitute.  You'll probably get in eventually, but it will be a hassle.

No.   US citizens entering the USA at a land border crossing point need a passport, passport card, or enhanced driving license.                   

• Foofa

You understand wrong about Mexico. Since 2002 you need a valid passport to cross the border in either direction. Mexico is sick of our sh*t and if it suspects you're bringing in a gun you'll see just how lax Mexican border security is (not). 

• Lisa A

At a land crossing, you can also use your green card, enhanced drivers license (only issued by a few states) or NEXUS card.

• ?

your state id or driver license might help you but i wouldn't take the chance

You need your passports (or if you are US citizens, some states offer "enhanced ID" driver's licenses which may be accepted. Social Security card is NOT proof of identity or citizenship! You cannot get into Mexico without proper identification, proof of citizenship - passport. Do NOT attempt to go to Mexico!

I have been waved through there similar in buffalo going to canada and back