Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenDecorating & Remodeling · 2 months ago

Lisa has 7 yards of material, and wants to make curtains that are 18 inches wide. How many curtains can she make?

1 yard = 3 feet = 36 inches, 36 inches ÷ 18 inches = 2

So in every yard she can make 2 curtains, ergo the ratio is 1:2 . Since it's 7 yards the ratio becomes 7:14. She can make 14 curtains.

• garry

7 of  course , after all you allow for the hem , so each uses 20 inches of material , rest is to small .it depends on the width of material  and the length of it .

I am a professional curtain designer and seamstress. Your question cannot be answered. because it is missing vital information in order to solve the equation.

Please specify the finished LENGTH (top to bottom) AND WIDTH (left to right) of the curtain ALONG WITH the width of the 7 yard piece of fabric.

Otherwise, there is no way to calculate the answer.

Depends on width of fabric, but typically 3 from that width, each 7 yards long. As others say, not really enough information.

We don't know, because you didn't say how wide the material is or how long the curtains are supposed to be.

How long are the ******* curtains? Question is unsolvable.

• enn

WHAT ARE THE DIMENSIONS OF THE WINDOWS NEEDING CURTAINS??

NO good sewing person just cuts fabric without measuring the dimensions of the windows first! And....

HOW MANY WINDOWS NEED CURTAINS???

I agree with the others, Whoever wrote the question wrote a bad question. I have ONE window needing curtains. It measures 5-feet by 4-feet, or 1-1.3-yards by 1-1/2-yards. I need two panels at least 2 yards long by the 18 inches, plus 1/2 yard for the 12 looped pieces 2-inches wide by 8 inches long  to make loops to attach to the panels to loop over the curtain rod. So out of 7 yards I can easily make 2 panels to fit my current window, with some left over to make a 3rd  curtain for a small window. But, what if you need to put curtains over 5 small windows in a row? What if you need to make a curtain for a 1-foot x 6-foot acrylic panel next to your front door?

In order to answer the question you need the window dimensions, or this goes nowhere.

Whoever wrote that question is not qualified to write questions.

I get that they want you to figure out how many 18-inch pieces are in 7 36-inch yards.

But this completely ignores the reality of fabric and of sewing curtains.

Fabric isn't ever 18 inches from edge to edge. There are common widths, 45 and 60, inches wide most often, occasionally 36 or 72. Two 18-inch widths could be cut from 36 or 45 inch fabric, 3 from 60-inch, 4 from 72.

It also makes a huge difference whether the fabric has a pattern or woven design. If it does, it runs end to end, not side to side, so that fabric with dogs on it is going to be cut into 18-inch pieces with the dogs going sideways.

And what of hems, bound edges, and a pocket at the top for the rod?

This is among the poorest-written math questions I've seen.

Anybody who SEWS knows that you do not just divide they 7 yards by the 18 inches.  How long are these curtains going to be?  Are they grommet top (flat material), or pleated?  Are the top/bottom/sides hemmed?  If the question asked "How many cut panels can you get out of 7 lineal yards, already pre-cut to the appropriate length?"  then 18 inches is a half a yard.  So you would get 14 panels - but when you sew them correctly, they will NOT be 18 inches wide anymore, will they?  I am a retired teacher, and also a good sewist (that's the word we use now . . )  The person who wrote this question is not very bright . . .

Repair of typos.

One curtain that's 18-inches wide and 14-yards long.