Justin Guzman asked in PetsCats · 1 week ago

Is it wrong to lock cats in cage all day?

I am 25M and my friend is 21F. 

She has many cats. But only keeps her two favorites inside the house while locking the others in a cage all day. 

She says it’s to protect them from cat fights and also because they pee and poop inside the house. 

Also her nephew who is a toddler will chase the cats if she lets them out. 

She claims it’s not cruel because the cats are healthy being fed and they have shelter. 

I feel like it’s unfair that only two are free while the rest are prisoners. 

Is she wrong for this ? I hate her spoiled two cats that are inside because I know the other cats are suffering in a small cage. 

TL;DR- friend only keeps two cats inside the house and keeps the rest locked in a cage all day.

1 week ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes that is very wrong. A cat should never live its life in a cage! If you like, you can restrict your cat from parts of the house by leaving the doors closed. But never, ever keep it in a cage. If this so called "friend" (who I would ditch) can't handle the responsibilities of cats then she shouldn't have them, full stop.

• 5 days ago

Cats cannot be locked in cages nor should they be allowed free roam outside to fend from the elements. Your friend needs to rehome the cats she is keeping in cages. Cats require lots of space to zoom around and be free. 

• 6 days ago

Very wrong. There is no need to keep cats in a cage. Having accidents in the floor tells me there could also be a greater issue since it’s pretty uncommon for cats to potty in the floor without reason. They are either being abused or neglected, having anxiety issues, or possibly medically sick. If you are close I would encourage her to find a new loving home for the poor babies. 

Source(s): Cat owner of seven years and also have fostered several kittens.
  • 6 days ago

It is wrong! She shouldn't have got them, especially her favourites!

1 week ago

They should only be locked in cages for transport or for their own safety depending on the circumstances. 

• 1 week ago

That's animal cruelty. Cats are living animals that need exercise and space.

• Ocimom
    1 week ago

She needs to rehome the caged cats and spay/neuter.

1 week ago

Animal cruelty. She should not be allowed to have any cats at all. Cats were not meant to be in a small cage all day long. You should report her.

• kswck2
    1 week ago

Never been a fan of cages for any kind of animal. Seems cruel to put a cat in a cage. 

• TB12
    1 week ago

If you put all of them in the same cage how does that protect them from cat fights,,

Does her nephew chase the two that aren't locked in a cage,

Why do those two not also pee and poop in the house,,, and why doesn't she have litter boxes for that,

Are the ones in the cage kept outside in the cage,,

I would have to say yes, something is wrong.