Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsCycling · 1 month ago

who has priority on a shared pedestrian and bicycle path? ?

As when I walk with shopping in both hands I tend to take up the whole width of said path as I stretch hands both out, to relieve the weight. Several cyclisints (perhaps ruffians), make loud noise as they try to swerve around me. However I am there first surely so have priority?

• User
    Favorite Answer

If the path is single-lane

first-come, first served.

If the path has more than one lane

then (reasonably) you are allowed to occupy (obstruct) only one lane.

There is a hierarchy on paths. Horses first, pedestrians second, bicycles third.

It is assumed that everyone takes no more of the path than they need. If you have your arms outstretched, you're not following the assumed behavior and may deserve to be chastised...

• F

Ruffians? Are you from 1950? 

Let's start with first things first. If a cyclist is approaching a pedestrian on a shared path, it's the cyclist responsibly to alert the pedestrian they are approaching. It's the cyclist responsibly to receive acknowledgement from the pedestrian they are being approached by a cyclist. Such acknowledgement can be a direct look or the pedestrian moving over to the side of the path. If the pedestrian doesn't acknowledge the cyclist, then the cyclist has to assume for whatever reason the pedestrian didn't hear the alert. The cyclist should slowly and cautiously proceed around the pedestrian. The cyclist should even be prepared to stop, dismount and walk around the pedestrian. 

All that having been said, if you are purposely waiting for a cyclist to get beside of you then stretching out your arms striking the cyclist then it's 100% your fault.

Source(s): Motorized Bicycle Owner and Builder.

Wait...what?  You "take up the whole width"?  Then you're in clear violation of the most commonly known rule on a shared path, stay to the right except to pass.  To put it another way...what if a pick-up truck pulling a large camper on an interstate highway took up both lanes?  Would that driver have "priority" simply because he was there first?  Hell no!  

Although cyclists should yield to pedestrians, it's also your duty & responsibility to allow enough room for others to pass safely.  If anyone is a ruffian (or idiot), it's you!       

• David

” as I stretch hands both out, to relieve the weight”.

Really?

IME, it’s EASIER to carry stuff close to your body than in outstretched arms.

But of course, I don’t use the word ”ruffians” in daily language either.

I think you’re trolling. 

Maybe troll anatomy makes it easier to carry stuff in outstretched arms.

Priority or right-of-way doesn’t mean right to act like a moron.

Depends on local laws, look them up.

Pedestrians have priority.  They also have the responsibility & duty to walk "as far right as possible" except when passing.

I have NEVER seen a shared bike/pedestrian path so narrow that both couldn't fit with ROOM TO SPARE.  My God...they're all 8 to 10 feet wide - minimum!    

Reading between the lines...I get the impression you're walking down the middle of the path.  WRONG!  Pic below - River Des Peres Greenway in St. Louis.   

While pedestrians have some priority, they also have the duty to not take all the width of a path.