Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesTheater & Acting · 1 month ago

Do Tv Actors for Tv shows make good money or decent money?

I’m a young actor and soon I will receive my MFA which is master’s in fine arts in acting. And well when I start my career I’m hoping to be in TV. And well I’m not sure how much a new TV actor gets paid. Like will it be enough to pay off my bills? I do hope to be on movies one day but for right now I just wanna be on TV.

Did nobody running that course for your MFA explain the likely prospects for a young actor?   The word 'salary' is too grand, since it implies regular monthly payments.

• F

Well you’re probably start off as a stiff in a hospital drama on equity minimum wage.

Most actors you see as regulars in soaps etc have been around many years before they get a decent part.

Stunningly good looking people obviously get in quicker.  

• Cogito

Surely they explained all this to you at the college?  

Actors don't get a 'salary' and typically, will have to work an 'ordinary' job alongside acting throughout their lives just to afford rent, bills, food and clothes.  Every acting job you get will be temporary and could easily be your last.To get even a one-line role in a small production you'll have to apply for an audition through a really good agent - and good agents are very hard to find.  If you get an audition, you'll then have to compete with hundreds of other actors who want the role just as much as you.I'm told that typically, an actor with years of training and even more years of unpaid experience will only get one or two auditions out of every 100 they apply for, and will only win one or two very small roles out of every 100 auditions they get to attend.  The pay for any role is likely to be minimal, and on average, a professional actor will never get more than one or two weeks' paid acting work a year.When you said "I wanna be on TV" that immediately made me think that you're never going to make it as an actor at all.  Actors just love to act.  Wanting to 'be on TV' indicates that all you want is attention.  I may be wrong about that, and you just phrased your question poorly, but you DO need to be realistic about the life of an actor and how competitive it is.

Hey! It's "Keenen"! You forgot to go "anonymous" in your other one, you silly sod!

Oh-oh! He switched to anon! Silly little "Keenen"!

I think you need to adopt a more realistic approach if you want to be an actor.

To answer your question, you need to understand the realities of this business. First, the way it works is, when a project start casting a casting director is hired. The casting director creates a character breakdown specifying the roles they're looking to fill based on their age-range, looks, special skills, ethnicity, etc. Then they approach the best agents in town. The agents go over their client database and submit (resumes and headshots) to the casting director the clients they believe may fit those said role(s). Out of those, the casting director will invite to audition the handful *they* believe may fit those said roles. The actors will then come in and audition as many rounds as needed till only one gets each role - sometimes not the role they initially auditioned for (and sometimes they're replaced afterwards, for various reasons).

So, theoretically, you may be invited to 100 auditions a year (for movies also and other stuff, you can't afford to be picky) or you may never be invited to any auditions at all. There's no way to know. Either way, on average an actor will land 1 (minor or major, speaking or non-speaking) role for every 100 auditions they're *invited to*.

It is rare for professional actors to get more than a few *minor* roles, on minor productions (including things no one's ever heard of), their entire career, let alone big parts on a big production. That's a few days of work per year - max. Only a very small percentage of actors (maybe 1%) land a role that pays well enough to allow them to pay their bills. And even then, every acting job is temporary. And you never know when your next one will come or IF it will ever come at all. It is an extremely unstable and competitive field. Almost all actors hold at least another "regular" day job or two because you can't support yourself by acting alone unless you're an A-list star - and even then you might at some point fall out of it.

So realistically, the chances of getting any role on TV (or a serious movie) are pretty slim And the chances of getting a *serious* role on a serious production are even slimmer and it might take 10 or 20 years of working as an actor and of  taking on much smaller gigs... And the chances of getting enough well-paid gigs to be able to pay your bills again and again every month are extremely small. Maybe 00.1%. So you WILL need a day job alongside acting. That's not even a question. Ideally you'll need something flexible. There's a reason why actors-waiters is a cliche.

• User

"Regulars" (anyone who is part of the "regular cast") make outrageous amounts of money.

Do you accept Jesus as your Lord and Savior?  If you thumbs down then you are the devil.