Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCar Audio · 2 months ago

Whatever became of car whip antennas? ?

What changed that now all you need is a nub on the roof to get AM, FM and satellite?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Too vulnerable in car washes and from vandals.  Not aerodynamic ,  cuts  an MPG at 80  MPH.Replaced by AM/FM in the windshield and a satellite stub in back.  Stubs also for cell phones but  that isn't your question.

I Agree, these new cars have SHITTY reception. Want you to pay for BlueTooth .Keep  getting ads popping up on my display. And, it starts out with a Warning about Distracted Driving...

My Civic  had most of it anchored  along edge of windshield for protection. Those old extendable whips just collapsed. Some cars had power antennas to protect them. Later  stainless steel ones much stronger, 

Edit: NO it Isn't "electronics" . AM/FM Are Not Digital. Still subject to poor reception due to lack of antenna area, non resonant antennas, directional windshield antennas that fade to Nothing on a turn.   The in-windshield  dipole on our '78 El Camino was so bad that I noticed they went Back to fender whips  in 1980. My '80 Citation has one, with an amp, has Great  reception. Transistors and IC's have a certain Noise Figure; if the input from antenna Below the NF, you just amplify Noise. In this respect, it has Not  changed since 1903  when triode  invented.

Source(s): REF: Electronics tech 40 years, 1st class FCC license, Amateurs "extra".
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

The car stereo AM/FM radio antennas are often incorporated into the auto glass on most modern cars, usually the rear or one of the back side SUV tinted windows so it's not so visible. The shark fin is only for satellite radio and OnStar equipped transponder vehicles. Originally they had the radio antenna in the windshield but automakers were sued because the wipers messed with radio reception. On my Suburban it's in the rear passenger side window and there is a receive amplifier at the rear window that powers on with the stereo head unit on the amp pull up wire to the radio.

• 2 months ago

The antenna is still there.  Often it is coiled up or zig zagged inside that small shark fin on the roof.   Electronics make up the rest of it.  

• Erik
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

technology     

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • k w
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

went to way of the horse and buggy.....

• 2 months ago

Electronics................

• User
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Cell phones used to have extendable "whip" antennas too.

What changed is: antenna technology. Huge, important advances in such technology (primarily: in the GEOMETRY of antennas) have allowed miniaturization, so that the antenna can be installed entirely INSIDE the cell phone or car "nub".

Interestingly, for some reason most of the technological advances do not seem to have been useful in TV antennas. In fact, with the advent of HDTV I need an even huger antenna and a pre-amp to get the TV stations I used to be able to get without such things.

• 2 months ago

They were susceptible to damage, particularly vandalism.  

• 2 months ago

Many cars use the rear window demister elements, and/or additional elements near the edges of other windows, as an antenna; the pattern of the element is designed to work on the appropriate frequencies & there is a small box just off the terminals that separates the radio signals and power connections, with heater elements.

The "nub on the roof" is often for a built-in cellular phone antenna.

eg.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/SbkhsGP9mh...

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/obj/1Z287Gv

https://www.mg-rover.org/attachments/carnearside-r...

• 2 months ago

Electronic processing of signals is a lot better so you do not need that strong antenna to get a strong enough signal to process.  It isn't really about the antenna so much as how well the radios can grab a signal even when it is weak and near background.

The need to channel and concentrate a radio signal before processing is not what it once was.  There have, of course, been improvements in antennae too that help with signal capture and concentration, but that is a lot less important than the signal processing side of things.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.