Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 3 months ago

Please someone help me with motivational?

I have ambitions but I am extremely unmotivated, I let life take me as if I threw myself into a river and let it take me, I am tired of life even though I am young and never having trauma, life has no magic for me, maybe that's why i have ambitions, i want to look for this magical vision wherever it is, the only thing that keeps me up is hope, but i am too unmotivated to chase my ambitions

Favorite Answer

You don't tell us much about yourself. When people say they lack motivation, it sometimes means they have a problem like depression, and I have a lot of advice from experts about that in my answers. There are lots of things that can help - standard treatments and the healthy lifestyle choices that can energize you.

There's a very important principle in psychology that you might call the Baby Steps Principle. A therapist once said, "Therapy is basically deciding on a doable goal and deciding on the right baby steps to get you there."  There's a book you can read online for free that tells you how to write a behavior modification program for yourself -  

https://www.psychologicalselfhelp.org/Chapter11/

If the program isn't working, write a new one.

Maybe the most important thing to consider is this. A lot of us have trouble with impulses - giving in to the urge to do something we know is wrong, like slacking off when we should be working, getting stoned, or doing something crazy. 

Mood and behavior go hand in hand. When somebody gives in to an inappropriate impulse, there's a problem with the person's mood. The person needs the things that keep his moods on track, coping methods. There's a wide variety of stress reduction methods that help. Then again, some people benefit from therapy.

Healthy behaviors lead to good moods, and good moods fight bad impulses.

Also, psychology has some really good tricks for overcoming motivation problems. The Baby Steps Principle is valuable in dealing with every day motivation problems. 

I was listening to a lecture by somebody who said he was a procrastinator, and he said that the problem with people like himself is that they need immediate gratification. This is interesting because the methods I've found that help with this problem provide immediate gratification.

This is useful for all kinds of things you don't feel like doing. If a task seems like it's too big, think of it as a series of tasks that you can take on one at a time, and start with something really, really easy. Cleaning - start by cleaning for 3 or 4 min and take a 5 min break. Or start by just cleaning the kitchen counters. Immediate gratification!

Reading - start by previewing a chapter you're about to read, looking at headings, sub-headings, etc. The first thing in assembling a gadget is to put all the pieces in a row and read the instructions.

Short breaks are good but always watch the clock.

Staying on task - if you find yourself dawdling, wasting time while you're working, here's a simple fix. Decide how much time it will take to get a task done and do it in that time, watching the clock.

A famous psychiatrist said that when we can't control our feelings we can still control our muscles. If you tell your arms and legs to get you to the bathroom for a shower, they will obey.

Try this when it seems that you're too tired to work. Lie on the couch, close your eyes, and get ready to work by imagining yourself working for 5 minutes. Again, think in terms of taking it step by step and starting with something really easy.

Of all the basic lifestyle choices for mood disorders, the one with the best evidence is exercise, and you don't have to be an athlete to benefit from it. Research shows that when people suffering from depression go for long walks with friends, this is very therapeutic (source - the lifestyle-depression project at the University of Kansas). Things that take your mind off your problems for a while, like a funny movie, are helpful, as long as you don't let them dominate you. 

Of all the traditional Asian methods (meditation, tai chi, etc.) the one with the best evidence for helping people with mood problems is controlled breathing. Information about therapeutic breathing recommended by psychiatrists Brown and Gerbarg and PTSD therapist Emma Seppala, and other good things here. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqEM_jlDRZI

Youtube thumbnail

&t=2s

I would say it's depression.