Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 week ago

Is a degree in History worthless since most of it is written from the perspective of racists and slave traders ?

what about history from the perspective of non white people on this planet hmm ?

i show no respect to history class because it celebrates the suffering of my people and teaches my kids nothing valuable about the past.

@ John,  Colonialism was not a good thing for any country. That is where you and I part sir.

Sorry to have to say this, but I do not celebrate British Colonialism.  Those who are celebrating it, are in their 70s and 80s, dying or dead.

the world is being shaped by the youth of today.  Not those old racists and their belief systems of what the world should be like.

What they believed the world should be like is not relevant any more.  Its not 1920s.  its 2020.

;-)

• L
    1 week ago

It's obvious you are reading a newer History Text Book full of B.S. Find an older History Text Book and read the truth.

• JOHN B
    1 week ago

I have never seen a celebratory text book. Just the facts, man. I guess your kids shouldn't know the history of where they could have been and where they are now,  why and how it happened. I agree. Totally useless!

Some troll questions beg for an answer.

• 1 week ago

History is a very good practical and intellectual subject. An educated man has also studied a modern language, music, latin, science and mathematics. He then has a starting point fo any career he happens to fall into. Women are different.

• 1 week ago

You lack perspective and should check out some fairly prominent historians starting with Noam Chomsky or Eric Foner (whom I slightly knew in college) who most certainly do not write from the point of view of racists, imperialists, slave traders, or the wealthy.

• F
    1 week ago

It will be even more worthless when history is re-written so as to put blacks in a good light while deliberately playing down any thing good by white people and highlighting anything bad.

• John
    1 week ago

What utter balderdash.

Apart from lying full time what else do you do?

Africa was brought out of suffering, it was Britain stopped Africa slaving.

Many parts of Africa were still enslaving other Africans well into the 1870s, Britain had abolished slavery in 1830s, one of the reasons Britain colonised large parts of Africa was to increase trade, bring Education, medicine, infrastructure and stop slavery.

Zulu wars 1870s, the Zulus were still enslaving fellow Africans and selling them.

Shortest war in History, 1896, Zanzibar, the Sultan wouldn't stop slaving, the Island sent out Muslim slave trappers, to capture neighbouring Africans to sell to the Muslims in Arabia and the Middle East.  

Britain sent a gun boat in and then colonised Zanzibar Island, the war lasted around 40 minutes, the exact time is disputed lolz.

• Prince
    1 week ago

The fact that you post this anonymously really makes me doubt its veracity. It makes it seem more as though you are a White Supremacist posing as a Black person. But, to give you the benefit of the very slight doubt, your question makes clear that you have not read History and are only repeating the assumptions of the illiterate. For actually a great deal of History has been written since the slave traders and, for that matter, very little of it had been written by slave traders when they had. Scholars usually wrote History, even back in the day. A great deal of modern research has been done and History has been written recently and continues to be written. You should make some effort to educate yourself. You don't know what "most of it" is, whether you are the disrespectful Black History student you claim to be or the White Supremacist liar I suspect you really are.

Source(s): Henry Louis Gates Jr
    1 week ago

Actually  no. You do not seem to have informed yourself about academia, haven` t you?

You stereotype too much yourself and you are too narrow-minded. With this attitude of yours, you will never intellectually advance and remain uneducated.

• 1 week ago

You're not looking in the right places. For example, PBS does a show "Finding Your Roots" hosted by an African American that frequently features black guests. It often discusses the racial hardships by their ancestors. Obviously, the data is recorded elsewhere first to be used on the show. I've seen C-Span feature speakers f/ a college classroom on Black History etc.

• Tasm
    1 week ago

A degree in history is worthless because what can you do with it other than teach history, and that pays squat.