Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsFish · 1 month ago

How come my goldfish act like they are starving even after I feed them?

I feel them all twice a day, and sometimes even a small snack but at Times they still wander at the top for more food! I’m absolutely terrified of over feeding them but they never stop 

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Ocimom
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

Goldfish have a 5 minute attention span when it comes to food.   They don't remember they ate, so act like they didn't eat.  Many people will overfeed goldfish because they always act like they are starving.

• 1 week ago

At one time, I asked the same question at a pet store.  I was told that goldfish do not have a stomach.  I see you have picked a favorite answer and that is fine, but if you are still interested, maybe research it for yourself.  I also have goldfish and just like any other fish, I only feed them as much as they can consume in 5 minutes.  Anything that they don't eat, lands on them bottom of the tank.  At that point, they eat it as they forage for food.  Good luck!

• Akeath
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Goldfish always act hungry, but if you keep feeding them fish food when they beg it will be bad for their health and water quality. Goldfish are grazers - they evolved to continuously eat plants and algae throughout the day. Their digestive system is quite different than ours, they don't actually have a stomach and instead have long intestines. But while in wild they would graze on plants and algae all day and be fine, in captivity fish food is so rich that they will make themselves sick gorging on fish food if you let them - even on so-called "Goldfish flakes and pellets". So don't keep feeding them every time they beg, they don't understand what is best for their bodies when they beg.

Instead, just feed them very small amounts of fish food once or at the very most twice a day, and put in some vegetation for them to eat between meals that they can more healthily nibble on throughout the day. That can be live aquarium plants - Anacharis is easy to find, fairly cheap, and one of their favorite snacks. They'll nibble on it more gradually, and as long as the plant is healthy and you remove any dead leaves its presence in the tank won't hurt water quality. Eventually they'll eat it faster than it will grow, so you'll have to replace it periodically. Or you could offer blanched Zucchini rounds, but for the Zucchini you'd have to remove it after 24 hours so it doesn't rot and hurt the water quality. Goldfish will be healthier with plant matter being a larger part of their diet as well, so in addition to helping them feed more naturally throughout the day it should help meet their nutrition needs. That way they get to eat more often like they wish without making themselves sick on more traditional fish foods. Of course, they may still beg for the fish food, just like a kid would ask for candy instead of eating a proper meal, but you can then ignore the begging knowing they have perfectly fine food in there already.

• 1 month ago

Goldfish don't have the mind to know they are full. They keep eating till food starting falling out of their mouth and they still want to eat. And if you feed them more you have to clean the tank more. Goldfish poop alot that the term dirty fish come in.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • kswck2
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Goldfish can eat every 20 minutes or so, 24/7. Food that goes in comes back out the other end just as fast. Why do you think you have to clean the tank so often? 

• 1 month ago

Fish are opportunistic eaters.  In the wild, a fish may have a lot of food one day, and no food for a week.  So they were not equipped with the same signals telling them when they are full. It can be difficult to know how much to feed your fish.  You need to be careful that your water quality stays healthy, that fish are not looking bloated.  Excess alga can also be a sign of overfeeding.   Do the water changes, test for rising nitrites, keep an eye on things, and you shouldn't need to panic.  

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Because goldfish are gluttonous pigs. they are one of the worst fish to have. 

• 1 month ago

maybe they need more food than youre giving them

• 1 month ago

Do a water change. And oxygenate the water with a pump.

• 1 month ago

Because they're stupid. They can even explode if they eat too much but they don't care.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.