Why do we have nightmares?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Jim
    Lv 7
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

It's a phase in your sleep where it works out dangers real or percieved.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Dreams happen during a sleep-state of high brain activity called "REM sleep".  During this time the brain is highly active & the body is immobilized (probably to prevent damage to self or others).  It is believed the brain is reorganizing itself during this state, passing on memory as brain-cells age & must be replaced within the whole brain. 

Dreams are believed to be random firings of those brain-cells that the mind will later try and put a coherent story to.  If the story is pleasant its called a "dream", if the story is unpleasant, its called a "nightmare".  

there are many people who believe dreams have more significance than merely randomness; dream interpretation. Dreams are considered part of the experience of the world that can be interpreted and from which lessons can be garnered.

Judaeo-Christians sought the dream-state in order to receive divine revelation, and differentiated between good dreams (from God) and bad dreams (from evil spirits).

In Islam it is said that dream interpretation is the only way that Muslims can receive revelations from God since the death of the last prophet, Muhammad. 

Native American tribes used "vision quest" rituals as a rite of passage, fasting and praying until an anticipated guiding dream was received. 

Acts 2:16-17:  "No, this is what was spoken by the prophet Joel: 'In the last days, God says, I will pour out My Spirit on all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your young men will see visions, your old men will dream dreams.'  " 

• 2 months ago

I can't tell you, as I've never had a nightmare.  

• 2 months ago

Going to bed on a full stomach will give nightmares

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

They connect us with the 'other' world. A place just as real, but not as brightly lit.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Our nightmares are mostly based on our fears, anxiety, and depression.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

cause we're scared of stuff and it comes out in our dreams

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.