Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenGarden & Landscape · 2 months ago

Neighbors mad that I planted privacy bushes ?

and flies (yes) out of his house making rude comments that "he was going to plant them first and that I'm saving him some money - (his exact words)"! If so why is he so angry and acting this way?    They are nice plants and flowers and are well on my side of the property line.  Then the next week he hangs curtains on his porch yet his wife still asks why I planted bushes.  Then they talk negative to the other neighbors about me-it gets back. Do you have neighbors like this-what to do?

Favorite Answer

Ignore them.  My guess is that they liked to sit on their porch and watch people (or look out their front windows to watch people)  Not realy to spy, but to just see what everyone is doing.  NOw, you've blocked off their view and they are upset.  There is NOTHING you can do to alleviate the issue except for cutting them down and no, you should not.  Ignore them, but keep an eye on your bushes.  They may be the vindictive type who will try to cut them down in the middle of the night.  Just saying....

• Willie

He now won't be able to see your husband sunbathing in the nude and that's what makes him mad.

The problem is not what you do on your own property...the problem is that your neighbors are just unhappy people looking for trouble. This is all them and their dysfunctional way of thinking.

Anyone who knows these neighbors already knows they are a bit odd. And when they talk smack about your landscape project on your property, that leaves no doubt that they are cranky people. Do not engage them or talk about them to other neighbors. Keep your footprints on the high road.

I have had more than my fair share of dysfunctional neighbors. The best thing to do is one of two things:

*Kill them with kindness. Say hello, good morning, enjoy this beautiful day or any other pleasant string of words when you see them. Say it with a smile. Send holiday cards.

*Totally ignore them and train yourself to NOT look in their direction. 

Discuss this with your household members and come to an agreement where everyone treats the neighbor the same way. Team work and consistent unity is effective.

Neighbors who are angry or offended at you for improving your own property obviously have issues. Some people are so self important them. Self absorbed that they actually believe your actions have something to do with them. And this is why they negatively react. It is all about them.

Before you go outside, visualize a coat of wax over your body so that whatever they say or do will just roll off you like water on a freshly waxed car. Do not take whatever they say or do personally as THEY are struggling with THEIR problems.

Be a better neighbor than they are and do not get sucked into their need to create trouble.

You just cannot make sense out of nonsense, so don't try.

It's about dominance with them.  They obviously DO like to spy on what you're doing and that's why they made those comments and talk to the other neighbors.  Ignore-they lost the spying game and it's ticking them off!!  If they were happy about it, they wouldn't say a word. Sounds like you did the right thing about wanting privacy.  Now that they are ticked, let them spend that money they saved and move!  Either way-you already won.  (LOL)

Ignore it. You planted perfectly nice plants on YOUR property. There is absolutely NOTHING he can do about it, and who cares what he says?  Anyone with any sense will see that. 

• bill

Tell them you wanted more green in your backyard and it doesn't mean you don't like them.

Ignore them.  It will always be something with people like that.  They are born complainers.  They win if you let it get to you.

Not a lot you can do. Suggest if you need to borrow a cup of sugar you ask your other neighbor.

• Barry

No. I am very fortunate to have nice neighbours who wouldn't dream of making crass comments. I would just ignore these idiots and walk away. They won't change because they can't.