How Do Sting Operations for Prostitution Work? Is My Friend's Boyfriend Guilty?

Long story short I do not like or trust my friend's boyfriend. Her relationship with him ruined our friendship of almost 7 years because I felt our morals no longer aligned. We are still in contact, and I have only ever met him in person once, but I will see her alone from time to time. One of the times I saw her she told me he was having legal trouble. The story went like this: 

Boyfriend is in the parking lot of a Starbucks. He is in the car minding his own business when a woman knocks on the car window. She gets into the car or he rolls down the window (I am not certain), and next thing you know he is arrested for prostitution. 

As far as my understanding of the law goes, he would've had to have handed over money FOR the purpose of sexual acts in order to be arrested for prostitution. They could have talked prices all day long, but if he didn't hand over money then that is not prostitution. I wholeheartedly believe he did it. With COVID popping up he won't have his court date for a while, but I have a feeling if she goes to court with him she will see that he is guilty because there may have been a wire being worn, or a video camera. 

I am wondering if Sting Operations target specific people? Will there be proof, or will it be he said she said? Is it possible that he is innocent? 

My friend blindly believes absolutely anything this man says, so I am searching for the facts out of protection of her. 

Favorite Answer

LEGALLY, you are incorrect.  There must be an offer to have sex as well as an acceptance of the offer.  Money does NOT need to exchange hands.  You think prostitutes get paid in advance?  I'd be interested in the basis for your understandings.

Likewise, your feelings are immaterial.  The Police would not have arrested him, the prosecutor wouldn't have pursued the case, if there was no proof.  There doesn't have to be a wire if this was a sting.  The female Police Officer's testimony is sufficient.

Yes, sting operations target people who troll for prostitutes.  I am not aware that any Police Department picks someone to target and then follows that person around waiting for him to solicit a prostitute.

How would I know if it's possible he's innocent?  The Police and DA apparently think he's guilty.

Those are the LEGAL facts.

• ?

Ultimately this has nothing to do with you and really nothing to do with her legally (although emotionally she may be affected). But someone is lying here and I don't know if it's this guy, the cops, the girlfriend...or you. 

VERY SHORT story. If there is anything to ask, he IS guilty. Whatever details you posted are only relevant to if he can be convicted.

Note: I DO know that if he told you what you told us, he FLAT OUT LIED.

Your friend is the one in the wrong.  Her boyfriend was forced to search out hookers.  Why doesn't she put out?

• ?

That isn't how it works. He had to at least discuss prices.