Car was hit, insurance time. ?

So, my vehicle was hit by another car, have it all on camera, the person who hit my confessed and now I just got the repair bill on my truck, it is worth roughly 7,000.00 (maybe a bit more) and the bill is roughly 12,000.00

Since it’s their insurance that has to pay, 

If they total my vehicle (or try too at least) can I insist on the repair bill payout, or am I forced to accept the value of the car? 

The car (a truck) is something I had plans for and can’t replace the type of truck for anything less then 10,000.00 dollars (low end) so I financially feel can’t accept less then the repair bill would pay out (either repairing or replacing m) 

They will be calling me soon to discus this and I’m nervous and not sure what to do. 

Also I had to have it towed and inspected by a body shop, can I pass the bill onto their insurance company also since I was physically unable to tow or drive my vehicle to the repair shop myself? 

(Due to covid their insurance wouldn’t come and inspect the vehicle.) 

You will only be paid for the $7,000 value of the car as the insurance carrier won't pay more than the total value of your vehicle. You will also be reimbursed for the expenses mentioned.

• Phil M

You cannot ask for more than the truck was worth. You cannot ask for what the truck would have been worth had you carried out your "plans".

Its totaled.  You get the value of the vehicle pre crash or loan payout whichever is greater.

• garry

insurance has a choice , if the damage is worth more than the car , they pay market value , its even on your insurance , read the disclosure you fool .

• F

No they won’t pay 12000, regardless of fault. You’re also in for a shock because “fair market value”’is insurance speak for trade price. If you think you’re truck is worth 7000, they will offer you 5000.

• May

So...If your numbers are correct, Your car will be totaled.  So...You don't get the cost to repair, you get your cars "fair market" value; "roughly $7,000."

So...You may be given the chance to buy your car back from the insurance company for the cars salvage value and then you can use the "$7,000." to repair it on your own should you so choose. So

So...I suggest that you educate yourself on automobile insurance because it is obvious that you don't have a clue as to how insurance works. So.

The "SO" generation doesn't have a clue...

The insurance owes you market value.  They take possession, sell the salvage and pay towing and storage charges.  They keep the salvage recovery.  Try getting your own value on the vehicle.  Visit Kelley blue book, www.kbb.com.  (retired claims adjuster)

Does it strike you odd that your truck is worth $7000 but you are going to have to spend $10,000 to replace it ?

I was in a spot like you.and I fought and fought but they stalled and I was walking.  My legs got tired and I caved.

Do not expect an insurance company to do anything that interferes with profit.

An insurance company most definitely will NOT pay for damages in excess of the value of the vehicle. The insurance company will pay the higher of their repairs OR the value. They will NOT pay $12,000 to repair a truck valued at $7,000. It’s a matter of profit, loss and being sensible.

No, their insurance does NOT have to pay.

You can disagree/protest at any time. Each company has its own procedure. My vehicle was totaled, I negotiated, I received $2,000 more than they offered, BUT it took four months to settle. Was it worth it? In retrospect, no. You can certainly hold for more money, but you are going to lose if you don’t have evidence that the value is over Blue Book. Your “plans” for the future aren’t a factor in value. Your finances and how you feel are, likewise, immaterial.

Insurance is a BUSINESS, and it’s about dollars and cents and common sense. IF your truck is something special, for example, you had plans to show it, you were making modifications, then you should have insured it for an amount above the Blue Book value. I have a car, a classic, which I show. I have it insured for much more than straight Blue Book value.

Yes, your towing charge is part of your claim. If the car is STORED at the garage for longer than it takes an adjuster from your insurance company to look at it, they will not pay. They will pay for the period of time before the adjuster views the vehicles and usually for 72 hours after that. Then the expense is yours.

You get paid fair market value for the truck, you can negotiate that value and see if you can squeak a little more out of them but in no way will the pay you the repair amount.

They should cover the tow fee, yes.