Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 1 week ago

Why do my 2 cats greet people at my front door? They come to the door to interact with anyone entering, even if it's a stranger.?

I thought cats were less social than dogs 

1 week ago

Cats can be more social then dogs, every cat has a different personality. They're probably just friendly. Good job socializing them.

• 1 week ago

I don't think it has anything to do with being social.  It is territorial.  "Hey you?  Yes you!  You're entering my turf.  Let me check you out before you enter.  Got any turds on your toes?  Wipe them off before you enter my abode.   This is just too much perfume....I'll be sneezing next few minutes.  When you come here don't put on that odor.  Okay, Who's next?" 

• 1 week ago

Your cats have bonded well with you, and now expect any human to treat them the way you do.  One of my cats, Gummi Bear, is similar, expecting everyone to pet him.

1 week ago

If they grew up with people and they are treated nicely, then yes they will enjoy interacting with people.  I had a family cat that loved interacting with people. He would rub himself against the legs of strangers, and lie on their laps. such behavior is not limited to tame house cats. Sir David Attenborough, the well known naturalist, told us that Elsa the lioness jumped onto his tent and woke him up by smelling his breath. Elsa was an orphan adopted by George and Joy Adamson. Elsa had never met Attenborough before but she treated him like a member of her pride. In fact, if orphaned big cats are destined to be released, their keepers will minimize contact with them, so they do not become habituated to people, because if they are not afraid of people they will get intro trouble after being released as many people will kill the big cats to protect their lifestock.

I have met some cats on the street and elsewhere that will show me affection even though they never met me. They just like their head and their neck scratched and they know that friendly people will do that to them.

1 week ago

They're hospitable. I had a kitty that did that. Then, he'd lead them into the living room to sit. No. kitties are intelligent beings & they will copy - Copy Cat.

• Ocimom
    1 week ago

In general they are less social, but some are very social with people and strangers.  I've had a few that loved when people visited.

1 week ago

They're your cats and yet, you expect strangers on the internet to know more about your cats than you do.

You can't make this **** up.

• 1 week ago

Many cats are VERY social. It's a complete myth that they don't live in little communities and are loners. Cats who do this in homes are more curious than anything; "Who's at the door? Are they friendly? Don't they know this is MY house? I must see what this is about and make them mine." Cats are also very territorial, so this can also been seen as them "making the person theirs" in THEIR home. Essentially, if the person is going to be around, they better smell like cat to belong and stay. Only one of my cats does this with strangers. He will rub up against them, flirt, allow petting, then off he goes. As long as the person smells like him, he's fine. One of our friends comes over quite often, so he no longer does this: he's part of the clowder, so no need. My other cat bolts and only comes around when he's comfortable. It doesn't take long, but he's not warm towards other people at all.

• 1 week ago

My cat is cautious around men, but friendly around women and kids.

• 1 week ago

In general cats are less social with strangers but not all of them. There are many cats that love everyone.