Planning on exploring an abandoned underground mine like Bear Grylls?

Hello,

About 30-45 minutes from where I live, there is an abandoned mine. We once drove past there and stopped briefly to check it out. On the entrance is says the same BS it says everywhere "stay out, stay alive", etc... typically BS. We are planning to come back with a flashlight and a torch. If the torch goes out, it means get out. So I am assuming we should be fine. I am assuming they put these signs up for legal reason so they do not get sued. Surviver guy Bear Grylls even took shelter over the night in an abandoned mine. What can really go wrong? I don't think if we are carefully we will have trouble, right? 

• Mr. P

Thousands of people go missing every year and are never found.

..... Just saying.

Bring plenty of urine along, to avoid dehydration.

there is a warning there so I would not do it...BEWARE DANGER..

You should have truncated your last sentence to "I don't think." Even a functioning mine, with experienced miners, is dangerous. This mine has been allowed to deteriorate and I gather that you are not experienced working underground. As a matter of fact, I would bet the ranch on it - - if I had a ranch. One key is that you and IDK how many people are planning to explore with a flashlight and a torch. WRONG! When you go underground, each person should have three sources of light. I used to use a carbide lamp (for caves, which don't generally have dangerous gasses in them) attached to my helmet [I'd bet that you weren't planning on having them, either.]. Then I would carry a large flashlight and a smaller one.

Just because Bear Grylls does something does not mean that it is a good idea. He does have some good ideas but this is not one of them.  He is notorious for thinking that urine is a source of drinking water. Urine, as any good survival handbook will tell you, has a higher concentration of salts than your blood or lymph does. Therefore, it would DEhydrate you. You could use it as feedstock for a solar still but that's about all.

If you want to do some underground exploration, find the nearest "chapter" of the National Speleological Society and attend a meeting. Someone will take you under his (or her) wing and teach you how to go caving safely. Why the quotes around "chapter", you may wonder? In the NSS, they are called "grottoes". [And some members will argue that they should be called "grottos".]

• Pindar

It’s a free country, no one can tell another what to do if they’re not harming anyone else.

be care full my dad rickerd is a miner and its not a laffing mater. by the way he got a lot of gold (ore) and thats worth a lot. we aforded the mining rites by first well i started to plug my car in to the house over nite to power it and then it quickly was turning a pretty profit. dadd used that and his invest ment ability to get the mining rites. and by the way its dangerous there as theres bats and critters. and its dark and it can have snakes. and if we cot you in are mine? we would drill a hole in your skull and figner it till you got paralized and then you know what horney miners do  to nosey kids like you (and your asehole)

trust me stay out u aint bare grill u are gonna get bare backed and DIE. words from my dad he can rape hard

Source(s): pansexual mine operater and diddler (peterfile)

You mean this sign, right?  What could possibly happen ....... dilapidated frames, open shafts, water-filled pits, old explosives, hazardous chemicals, bats, snakes, spiders, bobcats, mountain lions and other predators.  Think hard.