Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceTeaching · 2 months ago

Should teachers really be paid like $46K a year?

In Indiana it went from like $26K to around $40K. I know one teacher still working at my high school the PE teacher who got close to $100K before the pay raise and he's being accused of sexually harassing female students. I was a victim of sexual harassment through the 5th and 6th grade by a different teacher. My school never cared who they hired and would attack you if you came out with serious accusations. It's reasons like this I never supported teachers getting paid more. I don't want my tax payers dollars going to sexual predators. My school did threaten to sue me when I came out with it more publicly but they probably only did that to insight fear. I don't think teachers should be paid more because most teachers I knew were awful and quiet a number of them were sexual predators.

6 days ago

No. They should only be making 1 cent per hour. They do nothing but sit around and do nothing.

• Lili

$46,000 a year isn't very much for a college-educated and specially-trained employee. Many teachers have graduate degrees.

Sexual harassment happens in virtually every profession. Most teachers do not engage in it, and they should not be penalized financially because of the behavior of a few.  Do you think that every doctor should be penalized because some doctors molest patients?  How about business executives?  They should all be paid low salaries because some sexually harass their staffers?

No one can raise a family or even support himself or herself well on just $26,000 a year. No professional should be paid so little.

"Incite," not "insight". And they couldn't have sued you. 

I'm sorry you had those issues, but why did your parents not deal with the situation? 

But in reality there are sexual predators in every walk of life but most people are not. Just like most teachers are not sexual predators. Seriously, you think teachers should be paid $26K a year. You can pretty much earn that at McDonalds with a bit of overtime even at the federal minimum wage.

You can support whatever you want, but most teachers earn a lot more than they actually get paid. 

And also a "school" can not sue you. Even a person representing the school can't sue you. And legal issue like that must be dealt with at the district level. And if you truly had the facts on your side you should have done all you could (well, again an adult probably should have been there to help you like a parent)

No, that's so unfair.  They should be paid a lot more.

• A.J.

Higher pay scales get more candidates and a better ability to screen them for their history and qualifications.

Of course the cost of living is a factor in an area.

https://www.thebalancecareers.com/average-teacher-...

It isn't an exact relationship, because cost of living is a factor and state taxes used to support schools.

Teachers earn more in many other countries.

The top rated public school systems, according to US News and World reports.

Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Hampshire, Vermont, Connecticut, Indiana, Illinois, Virginia

Median Salaries:

Top 10 middle school pay

New York: $80,940, Alaska: $79,430, Connecticut: $78,990, Washington, DC: $74,540, Massachusetts: $74,400, California: $74,190, Oregon: $73,630, New Jersey: $71,450, Virginia: $67,770, Illinois: $66,630 

MA, NJ, CT, IL, VA are on both lists.

Indiana faces a teacher shortage. About 90% of districts face a shortage of teachers. They are #5 out of 51(incl DC) in shortage of teachers. 

only if theyre good at it, and i wouldve told the police about that