Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferencePrimary & Secondary Education · 2 months ago

would taking 4 years of Spanish in high school make me fluent?

would I be able to put on a job application I speak fluent spanish after 4 years of Spanish in high school

It would make you competent in Spanish up to a high level. To be truly fluent you should be able to chat (actual spoken conversation face-to-face) without hesitation to native speakers.

• fcas80

No.  Too much of high school Spanish is reading and writing.  Not enough is going into a bodega and ordering a specialty sandwich.

You may be fluent, you may not. Studying in school is not the same as being able to have an easy conversation with someone who only speaks Spanish. 

My husband picks up language quiet well. Especially understanding someone who is speaking it. I took four years of French and never did well with understanding  a French person speaking 

The problem is there are a number of versions of Spanish.   Lets say you learn Spanish like they speak it in Spain.   You will have some problems in Mexico,  most of South America and The Philippines.   The main differences are in slang and more off colored terms.    So you may be able to make yourself understood and understand what is being said but there will be some really embarrassing misunderstandings.