A good beginner electric guitar?

My boyfriend and I moved about 1,500 miles from home a year ago. We only took what we could fit in our cars, and he decided he had to sacrifice taking his guitar over other necessary items. He was somewhat new about to guitar, but had been teaching himself chords and songs for over a year and got pretty good. I want to get him a somewhat decent, but beginner electric guitar + amp like he had back home. Where should I start brand wise? I don’t know too much about guitars. I realize electric probably isn’t the way to start, but that’s what he really liked using opposed to my father’s acoustic I own.

• edward

I started with a classical guitar, which is what he should’ve started with.  He can get really good at runs and play anywhere.  I went from classic to acoustic and then electric, in total i have about 6 guitars because i became obsessed.  Any cheap electric will do till he gets better

Ibanez is also another low priced guitar to play. and they play good enough to play professionally, that's what I play, very inexpensive, and good !

• Tony B

The obvious names to consider for guitar are Epiphone and Squier. Try to avoid the absolute bottom of the range and buy from a store, not on-line. Fender make some reasonable entry-level amps too.

A low-end electric guitar manufactured by Fender, plus a cheap bulky amp and cheesy strap, is what many, many beginners learn on. If they stick with it and move up to better guitars, or give up entirely, they tend to sell these instruments, often in the local paper or on CraigsList. I think new the package is about $150 these days, so look to pay no more than half that and possibly a whole lot less for a used one. Ask for a demo to be sure the amp has not failed.

Since Fender has a reputation to protect, their inexpensive beginner line is marketed as Squier. Fender makes it, but not up to its usual standards for fine instruments. For a beginner, though, the Squier is a perfectly respectable guitar--and when you play fairly well, you can make it sound downright good.

Source(s): I have two Squiers in the house; each of our kids had one