Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Consumer ElectronicsCell Phones & Plans · 6 months ago

Relating to a mobile or cell phone -- what does "jailbreak" mean?

I'm an American who's lived in Europe for 25 years and have heard that term many time, but the meaning is unclear. I've had mobile phones for 20 years.

Update:

Rodcom gave an earlier answer, but River E. gave a much more complete answer. Thanks to both. I'm just a mobile/cell phone user so never got involved.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 7
    6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Jailbreaking is the process of removing the limitations imposed by Apple and associated carriers on devices running the iOS operating system. To “jailbreak” means to allow the phone’s owner to gain full access to the root of the operating system and access all the features. Similar to jailbreaking, “rooting” is the term for the process of removing the limitations on a mobile or tablet running the Android operating system.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

A couple of different things.  Mostly it means that protections have been removed so that you can use any carrier.  It is also used when protections have been removed for you to be able to put on any software you choose, not just what Apples allows.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.