Have you ever been in a boat accident?

Wind blew our 88,000 ton ship into the pier and tugs couldn't do anything about it.   Broke a few pilings, smashed some concrete, slight dent on the ship.

Sort of.. I was with a few friends in an airboat screaming across the Albemarle Sound in North Carolina and we hit a sandbar. It slowed us down so fast, my one buddy flew out and did about 10 somersaults and stood up in ankle deep water. We laughed and laughed...(alcohol was involved)  My old boss and his friend were ran over by a freighter on Lake Erie while fishing. It was real foggy and the guy that was a lookout on the bow of the freighter was below deck smoking pot. The fishing boat was destroyed, but they both lived and got a pretty big paycheck from the shipping company. Those two didn't laugh, and the old man would get real jittery when we would joke about it. We never heard of PTSD back then. Other than that, I've tipped canoes and fallen overboard a few times, but nothing too bad.

• fuzzy

Sailed a beach cat for a number of years. If you count cpasizing that then lots of them.

Had one collision with another cat about 2 miles offshore when the wind picked up & conditions got really nasty.  My fibreglass cat T-boned his plywood one. Went right through one hull & entered the inner side of the other. He was NOT happy. Technically my fault so I paid for the repair. (Complicated for him by the fact it was his father's boat & he had it out without his permission)

No BUT I just lost three  second cousins in one. They were fishing in Table Mtn. Lake (AR) when an old man plowed into them with his speedboat.

• Kaz

Fortunately, no.                 

• F

I’ve fallen out of a canoe. Does that count?

Two---

The first was in a foreign port where the Navy was visiting and letting people go on board a submarine.  It was tied next to a Navy destroyer, separated with some fenders.  My dad and I got in line in a big crowd to go on the gangplank down from the destroyer to the sub.  The crowd got pushy.  Suddenly I was falling through the opening between the safety rail of the destroyer's main deck and the gangplank hand rail.  I splashed into the gap between the hulls.  Wet and messy.  Two sailors were down to me instantly, and dragged me up to the sub's deck near the conning tower.  Then I got a blanket to help me dry off.  My dad and I got the grand tour, lots of handshakes from the officers.  I did end up joining the Navy many years later, as an officer, but not in subs.  I was in aircraft, mostly Phantoms.

The second was almost a decade later at Six Flags Over Texas, the second summer it opened.  I was working the Mississippi riverboat ride, sometimes at the dock, sometimes as boat "pilot" (could only run the throttle, there was a guide track below).  Announcement was the usual safety stuff, most important was hands inside the boat rails at all times.  My boat was at the dock, unloading.  A man braced himself at the stern and put his hand on the rail just as the next boat arrived too fast.  It hit mine, and the bow got the man's hand.  He lost at least one finger.  Messy.  I am glad I was in the front boat, not at the helm of the back one.

Yes. I was a child on a sailboat with my uncle, and we capsized. I had on a life jacket, but we were a long way out and his radio was under water. I remember being cold to the bone by the time some boaters saw us and took us back to shore.

No.  But I have handled boating accident claims as an insurance adjuster.  

No, I haven't.

Hope that helps........