Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCar MakesToyota · 2 months ago

Should I buy a new or used car?

I’m interested in buying a Toyota Camry or RAV4 . 

Toyota Camry - 2016 or higher 

Toyota RAV4 - 2014 or higher 

My credit score is 700 if that helps. I have a reliable job and get paid weekly , $600 every week. 

I just don’t want to make payments on a car unless absolutely necessary... 

Also looking at HONDAS and KIAS 

Favorite Answer

I prefer to buy slightly used cars.  There is way too much depreciation on the first two years of new cars, maybe as much as 35%.  A two year old used car can easily last ten more years.

Buy used, because the car value goes does as soon as you drive it off the lot, unless you plan to keep it for several years until it falls apart.

One of the biggest costs of car ownership is depreciation. Most of which takes place the minute the ink dries on the contract!

The most dollar efficient is to buy a car new enough so it still has a warranty or so old that it can be bought for cash and insured only for liability and medical expenses.

This translates into a 2017 model year vehicle and soon a 2018 model year. Unless you go with the well worn option. These would be six or more years old. 

An intelligent person buys a vehice that best fits their needs and budget. Those are very different vehicles which tells me you haven't thought your needs through very carefully, if at all.  If you don't want to make payments, that's the easy part - don't. It doesn't require a degree in rocket science to figure out how much cash you'll need. 

The RAV4 is one of the few vehicles that does not have  CVT transmission. Being a master mechanic i recommend the RAV4 to all my friends and customers.