Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesTheatre & Acting · 2 months ago

Why do some people say you have to be a free mason to have an equity card for being an actor?

Because some people, smoke crack!

• Tina

Because they are very very stupid. As the Freemasons don't at present admit women that would mean that only men could join Equity, so until 1979 when Mrs Thatcher abolished 'the closed shop' you could not have seen women act

And that's just for starters. And I can assure you that I am not a Freemason, and I do have an Equity card.

• Cogito

"Some people" talk a load of twaddle.

If you're going to listen to what 'some people' say all your life, you're going to be extremely confused and very ill-informed.

I know a great many professional actors and none of them is a Freemason.

Who says that those 'some people' know what they're talking about?

• Mark

Neither James Mason nor Marsh Mason every worked for free

But Sir Caustic, don't Shakespeare productions need masons to build the wall in Pyramus and Thisbe?

Because they don't want incarcerated masons out on day-release doing their stonework and/or "Shakespeare in the Park" stuff.

They sure do, Gigapie, but only if they're available. John Mason & Sons of Pyramus are always booked up solid, I believe, as is George Mason Walls Inc. of Thisbe. Busy busy busy.