Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 2 months ago

How should I gracefully exit a friendship?

I want to exit myself from a 10 yr friendship without hurting that person's feeling. There are a few things this person did to me that he is unaware of but it triggered me in a big way. So I choose to end the friendship. But in the meanwhile I also don't wanna bluntly and end this 10 yr friendship too quick to make him to save this friendship, because once he gets the hint I am distancing him he will force me to talk to him and confront me about it, and I just hate arguments and confrontations. I just want to fade away from his life. What should I do? I have already changed how quick I reply his txt, I used to reply him instantly but know I only reply at the end of the night. Next I am planning to slowly start to decrease the frequency we hangout. I'll decline 2 out of 5 hanging out requests then 3 out of 5 etc. Will this work? Those of u have this kinda experience can you plz share with me thank you.

• T J
    Favorite Answer

Your plan sounds fine. If he asks about it, just tell him you are busy with other things in your life, even if you have to make something up.

This is plain cowardice. Simply because he does things you don't like, that he is unaware of, you aren't willing to speak to him about it? You shouldn't be in relationships with anyone if you aren't willing to face arguments and confrontations.

• ?

Your slow ghosting idea would be the coward's way out. You'd probably be doing this person a favor by letting him know what he's done that's so offended you. This isn't to repair the friendship but to help him not make this mistake in the future with other people. 

• Edwena

One best way is to tell him you are moving away.  Then, you can stay or move someplace else. Change your schedule so that you are not in contact with him.  Hang out with someone else, somewhere else.  Then you can drop that person after a period of time.

Just be "busy" all the time. 

How can this person have done things to you that they are unaware of?  

What you are trying to do is not graceful. It's cowardly. 

Yes this gradual fade will work