Why do I feel phony when I try to be too religious?

• Doug
    Favorite Answer

Religion involves man trying to reach God or a better afterlife by doing good works. Religion cannot save you; only JESUS saves.

The truth is that death leads to heaven or hell, and the only way to heaven is through faith in Jesus Christ.

The Bible is very clear that no one can earn their way to heaven since good works do not pay for sins. See Gal. 2:16, Rom. 3:23-28, 4:4-5, Eph. 2:8-9, Tit. 3:5. The only way to heaven is by believing in Jesus for His free gift of eternal life. Jesus shed His blood on the cross as the full payment for our sins. He did all the work; all He requires of us is that we believe in Him. Once you believe in Jesus Christ to save you, you are secure forever!

Because we have all sinned against a perfectly holy and righteous God, we all deserve eternal separation from God in hell (Rom. 6:23). However, God loves us so much that He sent His only Son Jesus to die on the cross as our Substitute so we don't have to go to hell. Christ died for our sins, was buried, and rose from the grave three days later (1 Cor. 15:3-4). He gives eternal life freely to anyone who simply believes in Him for it. No one can be saved by doing good works. Salvation is by grace alone through faith alone in Christ alone (Eph. 2:8-9).

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life" (John 6:47).

• Mike

I am curious why you try to be "too religious" in the first place.

God didn't "chose and ordain you" (John 15:16) by "baptizing you with the Holy Ghost" (John 1:33).  Therefore His "POWER didn't come upon you" (Acts 1:8) to "QUICKEN" (I Corinthians 15:45) your "DEAD spirit" (Romans 5:12-14; I Corinthians 15:21-22) "back to life" (Ephesians 2:1)

!

You chose and ordained yourself and your pastor baptized you with a powerless do nothing water baptism that left you a "DEAD spirit."  Therefore you were man made and religious instead of Spiritual. 

Now you are running around blind (II Corinthians 4:4) and "don't know your right hand from your left" (Jonah 4:11) being "tossed to and fro with every wind of doctrine" (Ephesians 4:14).

Because you have a conscience . 

Probably because of part of you does see the irrational parts of religion and your common sense is fighting that. 

Because being "religious" is not the same as "Loving the truth", 2 Thessalonians 2:10.  Compare John 14:6.

• Mark

You need more time to reflect upon what you know and what you are taught so that your understanding becomes stronger.

Source(s): A Christian

Because all religion is phony.