Why court doesn't allow question of victim's motivation to get defendant in trouble?

Let supposed neighbor having fence wall higher than legal limit. However person live next door doesn't bother to sue homeowner because they don't care about fence.

Now homeowner had son moved in with him. His son being flirting with neighbor's daughter.

Now father that live next door got very upsetting over this and want homeowner to get in trouble. Can't find anything except fence wall is too tall.

Next he sue neighbor for fence too tall by couple of feet higher than legal limit.

When having trial, why judge won't allow defendant's attorney asking victim. "Is this why you sue my client is only because he been flirting your daughter and you got upset and trying get my client in trouble for having wall too tall?

I mean if allow into discussion of motivation it would help get less trial and less overcrowded in court because people would be too embarrassed if must answer what their excuse to get somebody in trouble.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Because it's irrelevant and doesn't matter and has nothing to do with case and would waste everyone's time and distract them.  And there would be more trials and more overcrowding because people want to rant about what they don't like about their neighbors, especially somewhere that the neighbor has to listen and can't just walk away.  They aren't too embarrassed to do it online, but they can be ignored online.  In court, they have a captive audience.

• 2 months ago

The wall is too tall, that is all there is to it.  The motivation behind the suit is irrelevant.

• Bruce
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Motivation is irrelevant. The court rules on the law, not on emotions. 

The only time motivation would be relevant is when intent is an element of the offense, such as First Degree Murder 

• Rick
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

'hearsay' isn't evidence ..................................

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Maxi
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Courts are ONLY interested in the legal aspect, not silly emotions

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.