Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAsia PacificKorea · 2 months ago

Why are many Taiwanese and South Koreans so soft and feminine compared to their much tougher masculine Chinese and North Korean counterparts?

• Andrew

I highly doubt that you have a great deal of first-hand experience with the natives of China, Taiwan, and North and South Korea to be in a position to make such a claim to begin with. If anything, you are making an assumption based on second-hand information and asking strangers to verify whether or not you've got it right. Having traveled to a great many countries and having met a wide variety of different people I can tell you unreservedly that there are tough people and soft people in every society. For every scrawny geek in Seoul or Taipei who whiles away the hours playing online games, there are a dozen big, brawny bruisers who could snap the average Chinaman or North Korean in half. While North Koreans are hardened by the difficulties inherent in living in such a place, the wide majority are underfed and malnourished and completely incapable of performing tasks that are even moderately physically demanding. And while the situation is nowhere near as dire in China as it is in North Korea, most Chinese are nowhere near as well-built or physically intimidating as their Taiwanese or South Korean counterparts. When it comes to who's the strongest mentally, again, that would likely depend. I would take that on a case by case basis. It's not an all across the board thing at all. 

If you're from a developed Western country, all East Asian men appear effeminate.  

I lived in Taiwan and befriended many Mainlanders when I came back to the US. In my experience, you have it backwards.