Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Native English speakers, please help me understand this sentence?

Q. "How are you getting on with the book?"

A. "I....................... chapter four."

What does that question mean?? What does it mean, 'getting on' with the book?? Is it like asking 'What's the status'?

Oh and btw, what should you write in the blank??

Thanks.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

it is a way of saying "How is it going with that book" and it is asking for an update of the status with a project or task.  It is going well, I have already read the first four chapters.  Or, it isn't going well, I have only gotten through the first few pages.

I suppose "I am up to Chapter Four" or "I have finished Chapter Four" or "I am in Chapter Four" could work as an answer.

• 6 months ago

This question means getting on top of the book like standing on it for example :) i have been an english from england my whole life and even I know this :)

• 6 months ago

It just means how is it coming along?

How far have you read? Do you like it?

Is it hard? Is it easy? 

Basically, How are you doing with the book?

You can write: "I'm at chapter 4."

or, "I love chapter 4" or "I've read up to chapter 4."

Also, "I stopped at chapter 4."

• 6 months ago

To get on with something: to make progress with a particular activity, plan etc.

How are you getting on with the book?

Well, I'm reading/I've already read chapter 4.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

Another way of asking is," how much of the book have you read?"

You could respond with:"I have just started/in/finished, chaper four". Depending on where in that chapter you are.

Source(s): Native American English speaker, for 67 years.
  • 6 months ago

Interestingly, I read the question as relating to someone who is WRITING a book! But it makes no difference: the meaning is the same  -  "Are you making progress?"

Your answer can vary widely:I'm at chapter four. I've just started chapter four. I'm half-way through chapter four. I've just finished chapter four. I'm stuck at chapter four. I'm really bored by chapter four. I simply can't understand chapter four. I'll be glad when I've finished chapter four.

• 6 months ago

It probably implies how well he/she is reading the book.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

The Q means "Are you enjoying reading that book so far?" Or: "I hope that the book I recommended to you suits your taste in books"  And general ideas of that sort.  It might even be just a polite way of saying: "Have you started reading that book yet?"

The reply?  Possibly: "I have got as far as Chapter 4."  Or: "Thank you, I have been enjoying it immensely and I have got as far as Chapter 4."   Or: "I really did not know about that era in history, and what I have read as far as Chapter 4 has surprised me greatly."  Or maybe:   "I have found it rather heavy going and I haven't yet got past Chapter 4"     Etc, etc.  In other words, be honest but tactful.  There is no one single answer to that question.  You don't have to make reference to a particular chapter, as  noted by Babyboomer1001.

Later:  Unlike Bluebellbkk, I was not thinking about writing a book!  Context would presumably tell you whether it was reading or writing that was going on.

• mokrie
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

How are you doing with the book. Yes, what's the status. How is it going. Any problems with understanding the book? "Getting on" sort of covers all that. 

• 6 months ago

It isn't "proper English" but it is a common way of asking where you are in the book.  You can say "I am in chapter 4", or "I am just about to start chapter 4", or "I am almost finished chapter 4".  You can also say "I'm at the part where x does y to z and z runs off screaming, etc.". 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.