Conso asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 4 weeks ago

Do calories really matter that much? ?

I know how it works, you have your maintenance (mines 2,500) +250 should equal weight gain over time and - 250 should equal weight loss and then the macro nutrients and exercise will determine how much fat or muscle is added or lost.

The thing is I tracked my calories for months, it became easier and I meal prepped and I got into great shape and reached my goals. My energy was low though and I just stopped, I ate the bare minimum really for about 6 weeks and my body didn't really change or my weight. So for the past 8 weeks I've been eating healthy getting around 200g of protein a day (I'm about 90kg 6"4"), and then the rest is brown rice and green veg such as cabbage, peas, lettuce, peppers etc and frozen fruit like strawberry and blueberry for protein shakes, I eat Oats in the morning and sometimes before bed. I checked my calories today and its coming in at 2,500. My training and activity is high too so by "the rules" I should be losing weight, but I'm not. It's far more sustainable eating this way as I've learned how to make nice dishes like salmon in a lemon and herb dressing, cooked in butter with brown rice and broccoli. Gourmet burgers with cabbage and peppers, maybe rice or potatoes. My daily intake including the butter, oil, sauces comes to 2500 with 200g of that being protein. 

Just wondering if this calorie tracking business is worth the hassle, I find this an easier lifestyle and I'm full of energy. 

Yes, calories matter a lot because you are either providing your body will all the fuel it needs (no weight loss) or you are in a calorie deficit where your body will try to burn stored fat to compensate for the missing fuel. But it isn't just calories. I'd encourage you to read more articles and books to determine what lifestyle eating plan will work for you.

A lot of  people are finding that eating a lot fo carbs (oats, rice, peas, fruit, sugar in smoothie mix, potatoes, etc.) slows weight loss.  When your body is using glucose or glycogen (carbs broken down into sugar) your body also has to release the hormone insulin to transport the sugar to your cells.  Insulin tells your body not to burn fat but to store it, if any of the glycogen fuel isn't used immediately.  

Eating right before bed is a sure way to gain weight.  Your body can't use the fuel so any calories your consume will be stored as fat. 

• .

They matter some, yeah. It's also easy to miscalculate calories in food, miscalculate calories burned during exercise, and miscalculate ones own BMR. If what you're doing is working for you, then keep it up. That's what matters.  A person's maintenance calories will vary based on their weight, body composition, and activity level. A more muscular person will burn more calories a day (even at rest) than someone who weighs the same as they do, but isn't muscular. 

• Andy C

You are wrong about having to care about calories.

Your energy after fat loss should have skyrocketed,  like mine.  You did not correct your hormones,  kid.

Source(s): "Fat Chance..." by Dr. Robert Lustig, M.D. It's the closest to a cure for obesity as exists. This is not opinion but science and it remains true whether you agree or not.