Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsDiabetes · 4 weeks ago

My blood test says I have high glucose, will I get diabetes?

Blood test says I have glucose level of 110 mg/dL. Does this alone mean I am in danger of getting diabetes?

Is it possible to avoid getting diabetes by lowering the level?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

Ask your doctor

• RICK
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

if that was a fasting test you are a diabetic

• 4 weeks ago

Diabetes is characterized by high blood sugar, which explains why many people wonder whether consuming sugar is the cause. While large amounts of added sugar is likely to increase the risk of diabetes, high blood sugar is just part of the puzzle. Other factors like genetics, lifestyle, and overall diet also play a role in the development of the disease. 

• 4 weeks ago

There was a time when 120mg/dl was considered a high normal.  If you blood sugar goes as high as 100mg/dl the doctor will keep a close eye on you.  More recently they're calling it Pre-diabetes.  If you have a weight issue you can possibly lower your blood sugar level.

Source(s): I'm former Chairman of Outreach for the Diabetes Society of the Santa Clara Valley.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • If that's a fasting test, you are pre-diabetic (well, I can't actually diagnose this since I'm not a doctor and this is the internet, but that is pre-diabetes level). So yes, there is a possibility you could become diabetic. If you are overweight and inactive, eating less in general (and specifically fewer carbs) and getting 30 minutes of exercise a day (even a walk) could bring your glucose down into a normal range. If you stick with your new lifestyle, you could likely avoid getting diabetes.

• 4 weeks ago

I had one test with a high glucose, follow up test was normal.

If worried in general cut out sugar and even carbs in general from your diet, it will help you overall.  The science is trending towards fat being better for you than carbs anyway.

• Shay
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

That is just ONE reading.  If you did it at home, then it could be a testing error and not the actual number.  WHEN you took the test also matters.  If that is a random reading, then it is fine and not actually high.

A fasting reading (10 to 12 hours without food or drink) should be below 100.  (75 to 99)

A reading taken TWO HOURS after a meal should be BELOW 140.  AVOID testing during the time frame that is right after eating.  The body needs time to process the food you eat and you might panic over a reading that means nothing just because you tested BEFORE your body was done processing what you ate.

Any other random reading taken that doesn't fit those two descriptions should be between 80 to 120.

ONE reading doesn't really mean you are "in danger".  

If you are concerned, make a doctor's appointment to get checked.  

If you want to improve eating habits to help reduce risks, you can certainly do that.  Remember that ALL carbohydrates become glucose in the body, so reducing your risks for diabetes isn't just about reducing "sugar".  It is about eating the RIGHT carbs and avoiding the "bad" carbs.  Too much white bread and white grained pastas are just as bad as sugar.  

• 4 weeks ago

--  If that is the reading just before eating, or at least two hours after eating, then it is high, and in the diabetic range. If it remains high all day, every day, then definitely visit your doctor and have him do blood tests (other than just the pinprick blood test). He will then say you have diabetes, are likely to have diabetes or not.

--  If you do not have diabetes, you can lower your levels by eating more fruit and vegetable that are low in sugars, eat less fatty meats, eat foods that are not, or rarely, cooked in fats/oils and avoid salty and sugary foods in general.  It is always better to eat home-cooked meals instead of take-aways and fast foods.

--  If you can exercise, do so.

Source(s): A type-2 diabetic.
  • 4 weeks ago

If that is a fasting glucose then that is important as it does mean you are at a greater risk of developing diabetes. If that is not a fasting glucose then don't worry about it. 

If that is a fasting glucose then you are considered as prediabetic which means if you do nothing to intervene then diabetes may develop down the road. 

In order to gain a fuller appraisal of your risk the doctor will assess your family history and do a physical to see if there are added risk in developing diabetes. 

One needs to intervene in the progression by either losing weight if you are overweight and increase in your physical activity in order to increase the insulin receptors through muscle building. You need to be more selective in what you eat with regards to carbohydrates. 

If you do that now there is a good chance it will not progress but people are only good for a short period of time and don't care down the road. It is difficult to maintain a change in eating habits and in lifestyle. It gets worse as you age and so expect it to be a bigger challenge as you age. It doesn't get easier. Do it now and avoid a lot of misery down the road. 

• kelvin
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

ask your doctor not us

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.