Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 4 weeks ago

Should I lose weight? I am 5’6, 152lbs and I am a female competitive swimmer. I don’t know if I should or not?

3 Answers

Relevance
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

The recommended weight range for a 5'6" female is 124 - 143, depending on body frame size, per the source calculator. Someone who is muscular (as swimmers typically are) can weigh more than is recommended, but be a perfectly acceptable weight for their height because the calculators don't account for body composition. Muscle tissue is dense/heavy but takes up less space than fat, so a muscular person could be the same height as a slightly overweight person but weigh more (due to the heavy muscle) but actually appear more slim and wear a smaller size in clothing. 

• Will
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

How much of the weight is muscle mass? If you're a competitive swimmer, I can only imagine you are toned, or else you would be on the fatter side and would be a horrible competitive swimmer. 

• Jamies
    Lv 4
    4 weeks ago

If you want to for competitive reasons  then yes. Don't do it unless you want to and you think it'll make you feel better.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.