Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 4 weeks ago

Should I lose weight? I am 5’6, 152lbs and I am a female competitive swimmer. I don’t know if I should or not?

• .

The recommended weight range for a 5'6" female is 124 - 143, depending on body frame size, per the source calculator. Someone who is muscular (as swimmers typically are) can weigh more than is recommended, but be a perfectly acceptable weight for their height because the calculators don't account for body composition. Muscle tissue is dense/heavy but takes up less space than fat, so a muscular person could be the same height as a slightly overweight person but weigh more (due to the heavy muscle) but actually appear more slim and wear a smaller size in clothing. 

• Will

How much of the weight is muscle mass? If you're a competitive swimmer, I can only imagine you are toned, or else you would be on the fatter side and would be a horrible competitive swimmer. 

• Jamies

If you want to for competitive reasons  then yes. Don't do it unless you want to and you think it'll make you feel better.