Your thoughts on LGBT equal rights?

I support LGBT and I don't condone discrimination. I want equality.

At the same time, I used to be highly religious. I understand that belief and mindset of someone having moral beliefs based on their religion and not meeting people to understand the full scope of things.

If a person bakes wedding cakes. They should sell all cakes to all people but I don't think we need a law to force them to make a wedding cake for a gay couple. They should sell any wedding cake to a gay couple but a custom same-sex wedding cake for somebody that has out-dated bigoted religious beliefs does seem over the line to me. They will feel a moral conflict. I think that is cruel. Do you think a wedding cake company who's owner is old school religious that makes custom cakes should be required to also make same-sex wedding cakes?

I am also, aware in India, they sell hamburgers in the most touristy areas. Cows are a God in the religion in India. I feel conflicted.

• Lauren
    Favorite Answer

I am also not entirely sure of best course of action in these situations. 

I am in the LGBTQ. I would not purchase food from Chick-fil-A at this point, I wouldn't shop at Hobby Lobby either. So I recognize that it's a legit form of expression to participate in issues of ethics and morality when it comes even to seemingly inconsequential economic decisions. So there is necessarily a flip side that is about the rights of the supplier (e.g. the cake baker). If I can make economic decisions that reflect my personal moral stances, businesses will likely *want* to do so as well. 

That being said... these people chose a service business occupation. If they denied a couple a cake because the couple was interracial or had different religious affiliation, the moral ambiguity dies a little more for me. I think mostly bc acceptance of same-sex marriage is much newer. I'm saying this even as a member of the LGBTQ. 

And let's say a person of the KKK came into my bakery or bar or something and demanded service. I would comfortably deny such service if they wanted a hate symbol inscribed on a pastry or wore symbols of hate on their person when requesting a drink. 

But what of sincerely held beliefs? If I claimed it a sincerely held belief that my apartment should be free bc I was born without my consent does that mean other ppl should comply? I think the standard needs to be higher than a person having a sincerely held belief.

ALL THAT being said... how many LGBTQ (or any other discriminated group) people are dying to get cakes baked by bigoted, small-minded busy-bodies more interested in denying people cakes than in supporting their business? I plan on getting whatever wedding cakes I have the wonderful luck of needing from LGBTQ supporting businesses. 

No, they shouldn’t be forced make custom gay wedding cakes. Why can’t they be equal to heterosexuals? Yes they should be equal and conversion therapy should be banned. 

It sets dangerous precedents. What if I cannot buy groceries at the only supermarket in town because the owner is against me? What if the spread to all other manner of sévices? A hair salon, a doctor, where I get my car insurance. There is no place for bigotry. 

I don't know about the cake thing because I don't know exactly what happened. If they refused to make any cake because someone was gay that's a problem. If they would make them a birthday cake or any other cake but just not a wedding cake because its against their beliefs then I don't really see a problem with it. Its not like the gay people are hugely affected. They can get a cake somewhere else. I think its sad that some people believe its against their religion but ultimately not being able to get a cake at a certain place is a minor inconvenience. 

i support them but not in everything they want, like i don't support the adoption for them, babies born by male and female so they should have mom and dad not double dad or double mom

No I don't, because it would then be mandatory for a Jewish printer to print a book denying the Holocaust, and other similar things.  Nothing good can come out of that.

Lately I've been trying to see things from LGBT people's perspective. As a constitutionalist and opponent of big goverment I guess I support LGBT rights because I don't think it's the governments place to decide how people live their lives.

but it does conflict with my faith. I am trying to be more empathetic to gays and transgenders but I do hold a sincere religious belief that these lifestyles are wrong.

• .

I'm wondering whose benefit it's for.  

LGBT representatives should have developed tastes by now. 

Just any storefront "heavenly" white icing or "devil's food" might not be good for their figures!   

They should make the cake.  The person already makes cakes for a living and they're being asked to...make...a...cake.  They're not being asked to participate in a gay orgy, for f*ck sake...

Today’s youth are being brainwashed to think this sin is ok. It is a sin. A baker should not make them a cake if the baker is a Christian, or has any good moral values. Even non-Christians should realize that being L G B G TQ is morally wrong, and disgusting.