Why do you think the earliest version of the gospel story (Mark) didn't include details about Jesus after the women discovered him missing?

The original book of Mark ended at chapter 16 v. 8.  With the missing body.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • User
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

I suppose

that the author assumed

that the reader would be well aware of the Christian teaching of the resurrection of Christ.

I.e.

for the author

the story of Jesus had been told

his teachings presented

and the evidence of his resurrection also presented.

• 3 weeks ago

The same reason jebuz chose to die then  said why have u forsaken me lord....writing booboo

• 3 weeks ago

Saint Mark was Saint Peter's scribe. "The Rock" may have been temporarily occupied with other things ... like running the Church ... only to later get back to finishing the Gospel 

• 3 weeks ago

You don't know that, pard.  We don't have the autographs (original manuscripts) of any of the gospels.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 weeks ago

Since the accounts in 'Mark' (which wasn't written by the person it was attributed to) were not written by an eye-witness, they are (at best) second, or even third hand accounts (if not just made up from whole cloth).

• 3 weeks ago

Clearly the resurrection story was added later.

• 3 weeks ago

No it didn't end like that.

One of many ways we know that is because of Tatian's Diatessaron.  It is a compilation (a copy) of all the gospels, sort of in a chronological order, and was written in the second century, centuries before the Bibles that have the latter half of Mark 16 missing.  Among many tools at their disposal, translators often use it to properly translate the original NT Greek.  And guess what.  It includes all of Mark 16.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.